Humongous oil filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
I just did my first oil change on my 2001 ST. (Previous oil changes were done by the dealer or Firestone.)

Boy, was I impressed with the size of the oil filter. Talk about overkill, this baby is humongous!

The 4.0 liter engine of the ST is not much bigger than my wife's Toyota minivan, which has a filter that is maybe 1/3 the weight of this one.

I'd guess that it doesn't matter much what brand of oil filter you buy, because there is going to be so much filter material pleated up in there that there's no way it can ever get clogged up.

It does indeed matter what brand of filter you use. Stick with the Motorcraft FL820S. Stay away from Fram products.

TrainTrac, you're right.

I should have said that this oil filter is so big that 'it doesn't matter what brand of oil filter you buy, as long as it is an oil filter and not a can with a hole in it pretending to be an oil filter.' Which is more or less the case if the bypass valve allows all the oil to go through it and not the filter material.

For those who haven't seen them, there are several pages on the web reporting what's inside various oil filters. Here's one

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

and be sure to click the link at the bottom for the author's subjective views

You know, I think there was an even bigger filter for some 2001 ST's with a different oil filter threading.

I never confirmed, but my manual had 2 listed.

Now I was hoping to find a filter that was a little bigger in the hopes of having that much more oil in the system and that much more filtering media.

Fram is not the most expensive filter in the world for a reason. They are designed to keep the oil relatively cleen for the normal 3K-6K mile oil change interval and they do that adequately. Where Fram and other filters fall down is with the use of synthetic oils and their extended change interval. If you are using synthetic oil and want to go with a longer change interval, then you should go with a much better filter that will keep your oil clean for that service interval.

Also, Fram got a bad reputation about 20 years ago because it was found that some foriegn companies were making knock-off Fram filters that did not even meet Frams specifications. Some were obvious conterfiets labeled as Fram, while others had names similar to Fram, but all used the same distinctive orange color.

A genuine Fram filter is fine for normal oil change intervals, but don't push them any further.

...Rich

Frams are more cheaply made and have less actual filter media inside the can than others. A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but the simple fact is that there are better filters available for the same money, like Motorcraft.

I think JohnnyO makes a good point that we should look to buy better filters to insure that they filter the oil properly for the full change interval and perhaps a little longer. However, a higer price does not necessarily mean the filter is doing a better job at filtering the oil.

The liNK that TrainTrac posted has been around for quite a while now and they guy has cut open a lot of filters to see what they have inside. From an engineering point it is good information, but he lacks the ability to actually test the flow and filtering capabilities of the filters. He tends to only speak in terms of the filter's construction materials rather than it's a bility to do the job.

With the exception of Caymen (who always has an exception), Truethfully, how many of us has experienced and engine failure that can be directly attributed to the use of an inferior oil filter??? I don't mean that you blame the failure on the filter, but can prove that the filterwas the direct and only cause. The only reason an enigne failure can be attributed to the oil filter is if the bypass valve fails and the engine is starved of oil. This condition is very rare and can happen with any filter.

If the filtering media cannot hold anymore contaminates the bypass valve will allow unfiltered oil to the engine to prevent catestrophic failures. This usually only happens when someone does not change the oil and filter often enough and the filter media becomes clogged. The filter media, the number of layers or pleats that increase the filters capacity to hold contaminates are what makes the newer filters better for extended oil change intervals. In my opinion, anyone who claims to have had a catastophic engine failure caused by an oil filter, most likely did not change their oil and filter often enough...but getting someon to admit that is probably next to impossible.

Fram did not get as big as they did by making inferior filters. They manufacture filters that are relatively inexpensive and do the job sufficiently if you change your oil and filter within the recommended intervals. If you want to extend the oil change interval, you will need to step up to a filter capable of traping and holding more contaminates and still continue to function for the duration of the oil's life.

Most of the bad press about Fram stems from back about 20 years ago when the cheap counterfit Fram filters were being smuggled into this country via Mexico.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing, most filters have a paper element, which is fine for normal intervals. Hey, it's what I use. However, the pores in paper are irregular so there are small pores and larger pores. With synthetic filter media it is possible for more uniformity and efficiency in the filter element. As far as I know, the only two filters with synthetic media are K&N and Mobil 1. I did just buy a Mobil 1 filter for my Trac (Pep Boys, 5 qts. of M1 and an M1 filter for $24.99 with rebate :) ) but if the used oil analysis looks good this time for 5000 miles then I plan to run the oil for the recommended 7500 next time. Know that the can is thicker and heavier on the K&N and Mobil 1 filters, so if you off-road it should take a whack from a rock better than a regular filter, but they also cost about $11 each. For whatever reason, the couple times I've bought Mobil 1 filters for my parents' Cadillacs I always had a real tough time getting them to thread on but I never had any problems with them on any other vehicles.

Normally on the family Fords I use Motorcraft (or NAPA Gold if I happen to be near the NAPA store at oil change time). I use AC's on the Caddys.

If you have a job 1 a Motorcraft FL1A is required not a FL820S.

That's the one. IIRC, that thing is about the size of a mayonnaise jar.

Yes, that's the size I just installed in my Job 1. Humongous. The biggest filter on the shelf at Autozone.