hydroscopic stereeing fluid

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Ed Fenwick

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Aloha folks is power steering fluid hydroscopic as is brake fluid. I have a bottle of steering fluid that is about two years old. Is it still good if the cap is tight?
Tks Ed

swshawaii

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Yes, power steering fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water. Google Ed.
2002 owners manual shows Mercon ATF (Mercon V) as the recommended power steering fluid.
Pages 174 & 187

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
@Ed Fenwick
Per OwnersManual, PowerSteering uses same MerconV Fluid that should be in your 5r55e Transmission;
nonsense to buy overpriced seperate bottle with unknown contents labeled "Power Steering Fluid".
Tight lids on bottles keeps moisture+dirt out, unless you're in an equatorial steam bath climate.
Every 6mths, got a routine of HandPumping ~1/2qt from PS reservoir then refill with fresh MerconV;
also HandPump ~1qt of old fluid from TrannyDipStickTube & refill with fresh MerconV,
along with the usual semi-annual EngineOil+Filter change.

Last edited:

Ed Fenwick

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
Yea, I went to google (even though I don't like them) , so I went to Yahoo. One post read that power steering is just like brake fluid, it is not hydroscopic! That is why I went to you guys.

Fordtruckfan89

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Literally let it run and heat up, shouldnt have any moisture buildup. I added a replaceable filter on my f250 to the return line, seems to help keep crud from recirculating.