Hyper lube coolant add. should I?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy GreeneII

Reaction score
:unsure::unsure:Just picked up some hyper lube coolant additive. The guy next to me at pep boys bought it and I asked him aobut it, he said oddly enough "royal purple makes one but they only have the oil here" he said its good stuff, should drop the temp by 5+ degrees but Id though id get some opinions before i put it in, thanks

If your trac is running normal temps it wont matter. The thermostat will react and counter the temp drop..

I put Royal Purple "Purple Ice" in ours; works just fine. :cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purple Ice® is a high performance, synthetic, radiator coolant additive for both gasoline and diesel engines. It is formulated to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, which improves heat transfer through the cooling system while providing additional protection against rust, corrosion and erosion.

Purple Ice® prevents the formation of scale deposits in the radiator for optimum coolant flow and lubricates the seals of the water pump. It is ideal for use in straight water racing applications or in antifreeze / water mixtures.

Purple Ice® is compatible with traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze (green) and GM Dex-Cool® antifreeze coolants.

Purple Ice® should not be used in new radiators until anti-freeze has been cycled through the system. Contact Royal Purple’s Technical Support department for more information at 888-382-6300 or Email Technical Support.

Reduces Coolant Temperatures

Extensive testing confirms Purple Ice™ reduces coolant temperatures better than comparable products while providing extra corrosion protection. For example, the average operating temperature of a 350 c.i.d. V8 engine (equipped with 160° thermostat) when dyno-tested with different coolants are:

A.

Standard mix of water and glycol (antifreeze)

228° F

B.

50 / 50 water / glycol mix with Purple Iceâ„¢ added

222° F

C.

Straight water (no corrosion protection)

220° F

D.

Water with Purple Iceâ„¢ added

200° F

Recommended Treat Rate

For use with antifreeze -- 1 oz. / quart of cooling system capacity

For straight water applications -- 1.5 oz. / quart of cooling system capacity

Note: Minimum of 20 percent antifreeze recommended in street driven vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say, only if you are having overheating. A proper working thermostat is going to control temp at a fixed point. The extra protection VS. qaulity anti-frezze with inhibitors, changed ever three years is just as good.

Race cars runing straight water, I would deffinitly use a corrosion inhibiting water weter.:D

Edit: One of my past issues of Hot Rod talked about this very same thing..:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger, this is identical, at least the specs and the way they state the degree change, what Im wondering is what eddie said, will the thermo just compensate for it or does it actually run a little cooler, Oh, and if it does, how much does our st take the whole bottle says "between 12-20 quarts" but it says "exactly" the same thing, even the Dx Cool part, might be the same manufact, different brand name..

Eddie is right. I just think that an ounce of prevention is worth it. If you do a search here on say "thermostat" you will find that some people here have have theirs go bad. It is not expensive, and you only use an ounce. So I feel that it is good for the lubricating of the cooling system, if nothing else. :cool:

Additives, additives....additives. Fact is, you don't need them unless something has gone bad and you are looking for a quick fix, like the additive that Ford gave some of us for our trannies. Don't need 'em in the radiator, trans or diff as long as the proper fluids are there and you've followed the service schedules. The only evidence that they are beneficial comes from the manufacturers who want to convince you that without them, your ST will die and fall apart next week.

I couldn't have said it any better myself Bill_E. He's absolutely right guys. Additives are another "quick buck" gimmick. If you want to get "better mileage" or "more horsepower" it's only achieveable through engine modifications and such. The best car care is proper preventitive maintainence... period.

Bill, I am not running an addidtive in the engine, tranny, or power steering; it is a complete change over, just like changing from dino to synthetic. The only addititive that I am running is the Purple Ice in the radiator for the reasons I stated above. BTW, the rear differential comes OEM with synthetic in it, therefore no need to convert. :D

Changing all of the fluids to synthetic is not a bad thing. Some people feel more comfortable about the longevity of their Trac with synthetics and that is a personal decision; although I don't understand why anyone would dwell on that to the point of it bothering them. What I would like to see is concrete evidence that synthetics are far better than the dyno products; from a source other than the manufactures and funded by someone other than the manufacturers. The main selling point behind synthetics is longer service interval and to some degree, improved performance. The former point is negated when considering that the warranty can be voided by NOT following the specified service intervals and the latter point is usually arguable.

Bill, My personal experience is that after switching to RP in the engine of our ST, it ran quieter, smoother and accelerates easier. No, it's not a true scientific test (independant though), but when I can definately hear & feel the difference; that's good encough for me. :)

Rodger

I felt the same thing when I added acetone to my gas. I did not notice any change when I switched from syn oil back to Motorcraft Blend. Same performance, same mpg so far. What I would like to see is a test with two engines in a long term run equivalent to about 100,00 miles of mixed driving with random time off and run cycles simulating short trip and long trip city and highway conditions. Southwest Research in San Antonio could perform such a test....but....nobody, except those with some vested interest in the results would pay for such a thing. In 39 years of owning and driving, never had an oil related failure of an engine or diff. Have had a tranny go bad when the reverse band broke.

Latest posts