I’m the new guy and need some help !!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHarvey

2005 XLT Adrenaline
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Sporttrac !

I just bought a class C RV and have been looking for the perfect tow vehicle, and I think I found it in the Gen 1 Sport Trac. I’ve found an 03 that already has a shell (must have for my dogs) and looks to be in good shape. I’ve asked the seller if they are the original owner, have all service records(truck has 200k miles) and what motor it has. What else should I specifically ask? They were asking 6k and have dropped the price to 5K. Any watchouts with that particular year ?

Also…Are these trucks easy to add tow bars too? I saw a YouTube video that said the brackets are already there on the frame on these trucks. Is that true?

I’m going to buy a Sporttrac one way or the other as it’s just the perfect vehicle for my needs. Any advice to help me in my search is MUCH appreciated!!!

Well known weak links for the Gen1 ExST are
~ 5speed Auto 5r55e Tranny.
~ V6~4.0L~SOHC Engines OilPressurized TimingTensioners & TimingGuides.
There are several other quirks, but those are the big issues.
Tranny's expected\typical lifetime is 150k~200k Miles, so have $2000~$4000 handy to replace it.
If there's any Engine rattle at all (cold start, warmed up, accelerating,...) walk away from this one.
An Explorer (whatever year+model) is not a robust tow vehicle; there are better options.
What's your loaded trailer weight; I'd not exceed roughly 3/4 of this ExSTs tow rating, in any case?
I'd walk away from this 200k Mile vehicle, unless you can fully confirm
the Engine TimingTensioners have been serviced\replaced at least 2 times &
the Tranny ATF+Filter have been serviced\replaced at least 4 times.
Unless you're very familiar with these issues & are able+willing to rebuild the Tranny+Engine yourself?

I may have misread your original question; "Class C RV" meaning a trailer or a motorhome?
If looking to tow the ExST behind a Class C MotorHome, that's a whole different can of worms.

First off thanks for the reply. Great info! The seller is not the original owner and does not have service records. The vehicle has 199k so that seems to be the roof on that tranny. I have zero desire to pay to re-build or replace either the motor or tranny. Looks like I should walk from this one and wait for a 1 owner truck with full service records.

As for the towing piece…I’m not looking to tow anything behind this truck…I’m looking to tow this truck with my RV. Are these Sport Tracs set up to tow behind an RV already or will I need to install new components ?

Thanks !

The stock 4wd 1354 TransferCase & ShiftMotor does NOT have a Neutral position. If 2wd, not sure what you'll need for the Tranny. Also unsure of what you'll need for the front end.

The stock 4wd 1354 TransferCase & ShiftMotor does NOT have a Neutral position. If 2wd, not sure what you'll need for the Tranny. Also unsure of what you'll need for the front end.
Hello Sporttrac !

I just bought a class C RV and have been looking for the perfect tow vehicle, and I think I found it in the Gen 1 Sport Trac. I’ve found an 03 that already has a shell (must have for my dogs) and looks to be in good shape. I’ve asked the seller if they are the original owner, have all service records(truck has 200k miles) and what motor it has. What else should I specifically ask? They were asking 6k and have dropped the price to 5K. Any watchouts with that particular year ?

Also…Are these trucks easy to add tow bars too? I saw a YouTube video that said the brackets are already there on the frame on these trucks. Is that true?

I’m going to buy a Sporttrac one way or the other as it’s just the perfect vehicle for my needs. Any advice to help me in my search is MUCH appreciated!!!
I have towed my 04 ST behind my MH for the last 6 years. It's a little heavy but it suits my needs. There is no neutral position on your 4x4 selector. You will need to go to Ford and have them program your computer and add a idiot light to let you know it's in neutral. PS: your lucky to have a shell, I've been looking for 6 years for one. I'm in AZ and any time I see one it's for sale way north or east.

The neutral tow kit is obsolete for the gen 1..... its a MUST.... Don't do it.

no, outfitting it is perfectly fine..... Make your own kit as shown online, or find a kit if you can..... Its just a heavy truck to flat tow....

Latest posts