I’m a believer!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr T

Reaction score
Just purchased my sport trac a month ago & it may have saved me from injury, or worse, on Saturday. Headed down my driveway, 1/8 of a mile - 2 90* dog legs - >60* grade after 1st dog leg, & as soon as I turned to head downhill I hit a thin sheet of ice that covered the driveway. No where to steer since there’s a ravine on one side & a ditch with a rock wall on the other. No brakes or steering, & kept building up speed. Straight through the bottom dog leg & headed for the creek. The truck held it’s own & kept me upright as the right front wheel buried itself in soft mud, front end teetering over the icy water. Took 2 winches to get me out ….all with barely a scratch to the truck & only a few bruises to this old body.
The guys in a big old F-250 watched what they called my “Dukes of Hazard moment” …both in awe at the way the little truck handled!

Attachments

• A9A5CCC5-B26D-4464-8E1A-732917853F41.jpeg
    A9A5CCC5-B26D-4464-8E1A-732917853F41.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 53
  • FD026469-D6FF-42C3-A3E5-1E9F8CBF2F7F.jpeg
    FD026469-D6FF-42C3-A3E5-1E9F8CBF2F7F.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 48
The Gen 1 is a BEAST in the snow.... It saves lives too. Glad your ok and all is still good !

Glad you're okay. That's frightening the way you describe it.
It was pretty frightening …I think I aged 10 years while heading downhill.
And Todd ….we’ve been looking for the right name for him ….The Beast it is!

4x4 SportTrac with the LockingRearDiff & good set of M+S rated tires is great on snowy\icy roads\hills.
Bigger danger is other drivers who've never driven in snow &\or have the wrong tires.

Last edited:
My '02 doesn't have limited slip, and has Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires, which are all-season not M&S, and it goes everywhere I want to go in snow with no problem. I often try to go in 2WD as much as possible just to challenge myself and the truck. I'll use 4WD when there are other cars around so I don't get too squirrely.
My '01 has limited slip and M&S tires, but my wife drives it when it snows, so I don't get to drive it in the snow much.

I should note I have toppers on both trucks, and a fair amount of tools in the '02, so the extra weight no doubt helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts