I feels like my Sport Trac is in AWD all the time but no AWD light on.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
I'm getting a vibration from the floor board and it feels like i'm in AWD. Anybody have this before?

you can simply pull the 4wd fuse ( 20A under the hood) and then you will know. BUT it sounds like the driveshaft carrier bearing is shot and causing a vibration.... Have to go under and look.... Could be an axle mount or something else too.... Get it looked at.

the fuse box is upside down rom the diagram, make sure you have the right one.....IF so, its got to be a bad Diff, transfer case, or drive shaft binding or broken....

you can take the 4wd motor off and see if it springs back to 2wd...

Ok, its not the AWD. Both drive shafts feel nice and tight. And its not the rear diff. It is speed oriented not rpm oriented. Could it be my front axel/ spindles. I have 65k miles and many here have reported issues around this mileage. Again,,,, its a small humming/ minor vibration that is felt on the floor board and slightly thru the steering wheel.

Body mounts, Transfer case, Front diff ( check oil) and wheel bearings.

Thank you guys for your knowledge and reply's. I work the midnight shift so it takes me a while to get back. No oil on my driveway floor. How do I test the hubs?

have to jack up each side and shake wheel like you testing front end... also listen for humming or growling.... Google videos...best bet

maybe a local shop rather then the dealer...

Small addition to the issue. Am hearing a whistling noise that raises and lowers with acceleration. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I give up. Hubs are tight. I'll have to swallow my pride and go to the Ford dealer.

Front wheel bearings are a common problem on 4x4 Tracs. The tire won't always wiggle but the bearing(s) can still be bad. I've been through a lot of them. The labor isn't bad but you have to buy the whole hub and bearing assembly which is around $300.

Small addition to the issue. Am hearing a whistling noise that raises and lowers with acceleration. Don't know if that makes a difference.

More evidence that your problem is the wheel bearings.

Thanks for the info, Will do the front hubs in a couple weeks (Christmas is killing me). Any brand name of hubs you recommend?

MOOG for me....

I had same vibration and it appears to be the Body Mounts on my 2003.
Ford wand $3000 for the 8 mounts... lol
I can find the bushing kits for $130 with all 8 upper and lower bushings but cant find the bolts.

Does anyone know the Bolt size for the 4 mount locations?
Ill get Grade 8 but want to have them before I start the project. I live in Connecticut this truck is 15 years old and the Liquid ice melt the state puts down eats thru everything. Even our town DOT trucks are falling apart much quicker than ever.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Latest posts