I need a new muffler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I don't want a performance muffler... just an OEM replacement. I found the Walker 21478 for $66 shipped. See link below. It says the inlet and outlets are 2.25 inches. From what I can gather, the stock pipes are 2.5 inches, so in my little feeble mind, that sounds like all I have to do is cut and clamp. Am I right?

I have a buddy who can install it. He's my go-to maintenance guy who's cared for the ST for the past eight years doing stuff I can't do (or don't want to do) on my own.

I have that entire walker system on my 2002. Fits fine, nice and quiet. Tailpipe exits under rear bumper to the rear, instead of out the side. If you're not changing pipes, you'll need a reducing coupler

If you get the 2.25 the muffler should be flared to slide over 2.25 pipe..... IF not any good muffler shop can expand the flange and make it properly work since this is not a cut and fit muffler as you will need more pipe to replace the stock muffler....

IF you go 2.5 you may need adapters and pipe flared thats not right..

Last edited by a moderator:
Muffler shops are worth their weight in gold after you try to patch one into an existing system because they have all the specialty tools and materials to make it fit. If it were mine, I would take it to a muffler shop.

I agree with Yardsale... Why not just buy a muffler that fits your application and not creating more problems and expense by trying to adapt something to fit? Any money you are saving by purchasing the wrong size muffler, will be quickly lost trying to make it fit and you lose the performance benefits.

...Rich

Stock Gen 1 is 2.25 Most aftermarkets go to 2.5

Todd Z

I agree with Yardsale... Why not just buy a muffler that fits your application and not creating more problems and expense by trying to adapt something to fit?

If you read the link provided, the Walker muffler is an direct replacement. It's the same one quoted by the muffler shop.

Stock Gen 1 is 2.25 Most aftermarkets go to 2.5

The link says the inlet and outlet of the Walker muffler is 2.25 inches.

Muffler Inlet Diameter (in): 2.25

Muffler Inlet Diameter 1: 2 1/4"

Muffler Inlet Diameter Designation: Inside Diameter

Muffler Outlet: Offset

Muffler Outlet Configuration: Offset

Muffler Outlet Connection Type: Pipe Connection

Muffler Outlet Count: 1

Muffler Outlet Diameter: 2 1/4"

Muffler Outlet Diameter (in): 2.25

Muffler Outlet Diameter Designation: Inside Diameter

The idea here is to use a muffler with the same diameter inlet and outlet as the existing system, whatever it is. When in doubt. crawl under and measure.

Mark,

If you read the link provided, the Walker muffler is an direct replacement. It's the same one quoted by the muffler shop.

If it don't fit, then someone screwed up? Return it for a refund...don't try to make it fit.

...Rich

I haven't bought it yet. I just figured that if an eight-stall muffler shop that's been in business for 30 years uses this same muffler on Sport Tracs, charging $253 to supply and install it, then I can buy the same thing and install it myself for less than half that.

Believe it or not, exhaust systems are fairly sophisticated in design to get the best economy and performance trade-offs.

I think, maybe, the point is not being made clearly. Yes - you can do the install yourself and yes, this will save money, but - you want to be sure that the part is correct for the application. In this case, that the inlet and outlet should be the same diameter as the existing system.

There is enough cautionary note here that you should get curious enough to verify the diameter of your existing system. I measured the outside diameter of the pipe going into the muffler on my '01 and it's 2 3/16" - I'd round up to the next standard size and call it 2.25".

So, it seems that Todd is correct (again) that the OEM pipe diameter is 2.25". Remember that the exhaust system components are measure depending on where they go in the system - the outside diameter is measured for pipes and the inside diameter is measured for mufflers and tips, as these are installed over the pipe.

It seems the confusing data here is "the stock pipes are 2.5 inches".

My Trac:

Gen1 Job2

2001 4X4

My OEM exhaust lasted up until 2012 before having to replace (not bad at all in my book). I installed it myself with Walker OEM replacement from new gasket at converter pipe flange to rear pipe exiting out to the side behind rear wheel all of which is 2 1/4". Again, it's time for a whole new exhaust system because the pipes and muffler rotted away.

The muffler is supposedly SS, which is bull, but they throw down so much salt in the winter where I live here in NY that it will eat through anything. Fortunately, I ordered the Walker muffler through Advance Auto and the idiots have a lifetime warranty on it so I'm bringing in the old one to have them give me a new one for the next time (in 3 years) when I have to replace it again. :)

Here are the part #'s:

36129 Spring Bolt Kit

31372 Pipe Flange Gasket/Seal

31962 Flange for Intermediate Pipe (to connect to converter pipe flange)

53460 Intermediate Pipe

21478 Muffler

55358 Rear Pipe w/Resonator (side discharge & wide brushed finish tip like OEM)

35336 2 Clamps 2 1/4"

I have the new exhaust parts sitting right here in my house. The muffler measures (w/caliper gauge) 2.38 - O.D. and 2.25 I.D. on BOTH sides. The muffler fits OVER the Intermediate Pipe (measuring 2.23 O.D.) coming into the muffler and OVER the resonator pipe (measuring 2.23 O.D.) going out of the muffler.

This time I had to buy a two piece flange for the end of the converter pipe because it has completely rotted and there's hardly nothing left to attach the new bolts. This is a two piece unit that you slip over the converter pipe end from both sides and bolt together. If anyone ever needs to do this it's also a Walker part that's available.

36131 Flange Repair Kit

I never measured my stock OEM pipe diameters when I removed it so I can't help you there but you should get yourself a cheap digital caliper gauge (in./mm) to have on hand for stuff like this. I paid $8.00 for mine at Harbor Freight and it works perfect for general measurement.

I've had the muffler I bought in the garage for a while now. No, I haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting for a nice day here in Wisconsin so I can do it in my driveway. I thought today was the day, but during preparation, I discovered the exhaust pipe on the ST was 2.25". That's the same as the inlet and outlet on the muffler.

So, I called the local parts store to see if they had a pipe expander. Nope, but they can have one here tomorrow. I looked at the forecast and Friday will be 61 degrees, which is my day off work. So, I reserved the expander for that day, bought a couple of clamps, and made sure I had the right sawzall blades.

I got a good look at the muffler on the truck and, sure enough, there's a one inch hole in the seam.

Question for you all: Do I have to reattach the factory heat shield to the new muffler? If so, I'll have to pick up a couple of long hose clamps.

4ff5d98ad5c88d55311f4a09be935edc.jpg

Let us know how your repair went and if you think it was worth it. Exhaust system work is nasty IMO, especially if you have to modify parts.

It was 69 degrees F. today and I decided to make use of it and replaced my muffler today instead of waiting until Friday. There was two inches of tailpipe between the back of the old muffler and the welded hanger bracket hook that I needed to retain. I needed that two inches to slide the new muffler on. It took an hour to make that cut due to the spring and driveshaft being in the way of the Sawzall. Slow and steady wins the race and I finally got it. The front cut took all of 30 seconds.

I rented a tailpipe expander, but measured the exact outside diameter of the OEM pipe. It was 2.125 inches. Turns out, the internal measurement of the new muffler inlet and outlet was a hair bigger than that. Hmmm... no need to use the expander. I installed the heat shield on the new muffler and it slid right into place. The whole project took 90 minutes.

I got a good look at the hole in the old muffler and it was 1.5 inch long hole at the seam.

The replacement muffler is a Walker #21478 and its inlet and outlet pipes match the OEM exhaust perfectly. Below the pictures is the ebay address of where I bought it. The seller has a bunch of them for sale for $68 (including shipping).

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: