I need Low idle help/adjustment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio Gomez

Reaction score
My 2002 Sport Trac runs low idle at 400rpms after warmed up causeing it to sputter. Any ideas how to readjust it. There's no code and the filter and hoses are good. I think it just needs an adjustment. Any ideas?

The idle typically doesn't just lower "all by itself" - there is a cause and it's not the throttle plate adjustment screw. Adjust this and you will probably mask the problem.

This noted, there is a screw to adjust the position of the throttle plate. On a 2002, it is on the left side of the throttle body. This can be seen in the last three pictures in the attached project. Turn it about one-third rotation at a time.

How long has been occurring? Was there any work done about the time this began? How many miles?

Edit: What Paul suggests - the IAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also clean around the throttle blade. You may have build up of gunk restricting air at idle.

You pro bably need to clean the IAC (Idle Air Control), the Trhottle body, and perhaps the whole intake syste. You can clean the IAC and throttle body with the approriate throttle body cleaner, and the entire intake can be cleaned with a product called Sea Foam.

If you still have problems, you may need to replace the IAC.

...Rich