I Smell Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
So this has been happening for a little while now but it happens sporadically I don't know what it could be. Sometimes when I get out of my truck you can smell that sweet coolant smell, and sometimes it doesn't smell. The gauge runs fine (my scangauge gives me a 195-205 temp rating constantly) and the coolant level hasn't dropped any from the overfill tank or radiator. Using heat, using A/C or not doesn't really effect whether the smell is apparent or not.

Any thoughts?

Could be coming out the over-flow res.'s cap when you bounce around too much, I know I'll have some come out of the res. if I hit the right bumps. I'd check all the usuall places-rad. hoses, heater core hoses, t-stat housing and lines, radiator itself. There's a prduct out there you can buy cheap that you put in coolant system and use a black light to detect leaks. Hopefully this helps.

:banana:

Or maybe it could be a small crack in the plastic tank/housing that covers both sides of the radiator. I have a small (now bigger, but still small as far as leaking coolant out ) leak on the side of the plastic tank/housing so I think you might want to check that also.Just a FYI:banana:

But if the coolant was sloshing around or me having a leak wouldn't that slowly drain my coolant level? Like this has been happening for atleast a month and my coolant level has remained the same. I've put atleast a 1,000 miles on it since i first detected it and the level has remained the same.

I have a 2001 with 86,000 miles on it and have the same issue. It is hot coolant smell, not cold coolant smell from the resivior.

I will replace my radiator cap as an easy thing to check as a result of reading this post. Now that I think about it, the smell is coming from further forward than the firewall, and I was thinking maybe a bad hose/thermostat/radiator, but I don't loose coolant and never see dripping. I think the weak radiatror cap spring may be an issue. If it is weak, it will be venting hot coolant back into the recovery tank and causing the smell.

interesting!

My motorcycle was doing this last summer- same symptoms. I finally went through and tightened all the hose clamps and the smell went away. I never found a leak and the coolant level never seemed to go down on my bike, but I definately had that hot coolant smell.

Thermostat housing....

Todd Z

Hopefully not the heater core. Probably not if your only smelling it on occasion. If so DO NOT get a Ford replcement. I went through 3 heater cores on my old Expediton in a 2 year period before they put in an aftermarket core that worked. Ford heater cores suck, at least they did 5 years ago.

Latest posts