I smell coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha guys, the thermostat looks yucky. While waiting for new one to get here, I watch the coolant level. I notice that the level in the overflow tank is ok but the radiator is low enough to see the core. Do you think that the cap is bad?

Perplexing, Amazon a thermostat housing with two sensors (like mine) but only comes with one and will not sell me the other! I guess I will go to NAPA.

God bless Ed

<--- Projects (Maintenance)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed I went with the all aluminum lower and upper. The guy sells them on ebay and amazon. I can try and find the link if you need.

I dont want to get caught doing the job more than once as some have. Im keeping my '04 forever. Or until no available parts. Or God forbid a total lose.

Like others posted, I think you have a leak in your cooling system. Sport Tracs are know for cracked thermostat housings, although other components can leak.

My concern is that you said you "Smelled coolant" but never described this in your post? If you smell coolant while in the truck, then you could have a cracked/leaking heater core..Parts are relatively cheap, but this can be a time consuming job that will cost a lot in labor charges because it requires removing the HVAC system from under the dash to get at the heater core.

If you are handy with tools, you can do this yourself, but be prepared for a weekend long job.

I have only done this on one vehicle and it took two of us the better part of 2 days to replace the AC Evaporator Core

If you are not smelling coolant in the cabin, then it is probably a leak in the engine compartment and easier to get at to fix it.

...Rich

Thanks guys, I replaced the radiator cap and while there is some smell, the leak has stopped. I bought a thermostat housing and parts along with the front timing chain tentioner. My friend will put it on when he has time next week! It is not a big job so hopefully he can do it in a day.

Ed

Latest posts