IAC again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Just a quick FYI: My ST started idling rough about 2 weeks, so today I pulled the IAC and cleaned it up. Of course, I had the battery disconnented. Upon starting it back up though, the rough idle was still there, and so I figured I had another problem. However, after driving it for about 15 minutes, the rought Idle is gone. Looks like it took a few minutes to settle in...

So, those of you cleaning the IAC due to a rough Idle condition...don't get to upset if it seems like it didn't work at 1st. Drive it a bit, and it should clear up...

You don't need to disconnect the battery to clean the IAC. I know the book and some here say to disconnect before unplugging anything but it really isn't necessary unless you are doing something that could short the 12V+ to ground. That just isn't likely with the connectors. Of course, I also change oulets and switches in the house with the power hot. 110AC only tingles a bit and it does remind you not to grab the black wire. Besides, if you make a mistake, the breaker trips anyway and shuts the power off for you. That way you don't have to hunt for the proper breaker in the unlabeled panel.

Bill, I have replace my 110 outlets like that for years too.

Only once have I gotten more than a tingle But MAN, that one time was WOW!!

Well, you are right about not having to disconnect the battery, but I figured since I was changing the way the pollution stuff worked, it might make sense to reset the computer so it could relearn what inputs it was getting.

I too have wired and fixed things hot at home. You just have to know what you are doing. Got zapped once by a circuit that had a switched NEUTRAL(as many older houses have), so I always check to make sure where the power is...

St still running fine today, so I guess I did it right on the ST...