IAC question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Last week I had a hard time starting the 2001 ST.

I'd turn the key, but it would just crank over and not catch.

IF I just touched the throttle a bit, it would fire BUT I have to feather the gas & brake at the same time for 15 min. or so or it will stall. (not a nice feeling turning left in front of traffic!)

After 15 min. it's fine?

Also.....my service engine light came on about 3 days ago.

Now.....I did a search on this problem, BEFORE I asked any questions and the abbreviation IAC comes up as a possible problem in a lot of the posts.

Now my question.

What's a IAC and where is it found? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
The IAC is the silver part on top of the Throttle Body in this pic. (stole it from Todd Z, hope you don't mind Todd:D)

b66e1e8753ae804f4f0a88aa76cd6544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If this does not solve the issue, which I am sure it will. The next thing to check/change is the CTS, (Coolant Temperature Sensor). This is the sensor that reads the engine temp via the ECM (Electronic Control Module - or brain) and then it tells the IAC what to do.

There are two on the engine, one for the dash gauge and one for the engine brain. You want the engine brain sensor....

I cleaned the IAC as per Todd's instruction and it only took approx. 1/2 hr.

I used up 10 Q-Tips (both ends) with alcohol to clean the inside of it.

They came out pitch black with carbon(?) and I oiled the plunger.

Put it back together and it fired right up.

I let it sit till this morning and VAROOM.....it fired right up again!

That seemed to be the problem! (my fingers are crossed :D )

Thanks to ALL who replied!!!!!

Amazing what you can find on the web, isn't it.:D

Glad we were able to help. The dealer would have charged you a pretty good chunk of change for what you just did.;)