Idle Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Lamb

Reaction score
So here's the deal, my check engine light came on a few days ago at about the same time i noticed my idle when I'm stopped at a light or not accelerating is jumping between 500 - 1000 and then will eventually die, if i give it a little gas it corrects it self and drives fine while I'm driving just when I'm stopped. My friend who has a 2001 sport had this problem but his would jump from like 1000 - 3000 it was ridiculous i have not been in contact with him to see what his problem turned out too be but i remember it being a sensor a vacuum hose or something along those lines. I do not wanna take it to a shop so any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks a lot

There is a project here about cleaning the idle air controller that you might want to take a look at, cleaning that could probably help you out a ton. Check it out and see if it is something you want to/could do.

It's in the maintenance section of the projects link to the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, first thing is to get the codes read. Then repair was is necesary for the fix. If the CE came on then the idle screwed up..

Get the code someone here will direct you the correct route.;)