idle problem number 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
12 degrees outside this morning the wifes lincoln would not stay running unless she held down the throttle till it warmed up a bit died three times until it would stay running. I know this is a sport trac website but i also know there is a wealth of info here so any of you guys help out on this? its a 1994 lincoln mark VIII 4.6 dual overhead cams i believe its a mustang type engine. Can any body save me a trip to the dealer?

A cold engine needs additional fuel to run. The CPU reads the water temp and input air temp to determine how much enrichment is needed. If one of these is defective then in a cold engine there may not be enough fuel to keep it running. C/O these sensors. This is just a possibility.

MikeC has a good point... If the Air temp sensor thinks that it is 70 degrees outside, it wont give the engine enough fuel. Did the engine seem like it was running rich or lean? (Was it coughing like an older car with the choke on, or was it acting like it was starving for gas?)

If running lean, then other possibilities may be moisture in the fuel lines or a fuel filter clogged up. If running rich, could even be worn or fouled plugs...

The 1994 year would have OBD-I system so I dont know if a code reader would help, however if I recall correctly that system would sometimes set a "soft code" where it noted perhaps a sensor out of range, but may not trip the CEL.

(PS: The Mark VIII with the DOHC 4.6 is very nice... I drove a 1993 once and it HAULED!)

thanks Mikec and dave its running lean i will check for soft codes and thanks again dave yea it hauls im almost afraid to drive it,:D like a kid in the candy store thats why its the wifes car!