In the market for some parts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Ritter

Reaction score
I'm going to be looking at some parts for

my truck in 3 weeks, JBA or Gibson headers, Y Pipe, and a new TB, anyone know how much power I would be looking at adding from these mods? I was guessing around 15hp maybe? Plus I would have my SCT re-tuned for the new mods...

No personal experience myself, but accoring to Todd Z, A lot of pain but no gain...

I would only get the headers for super or turbo charging.

A zabteck TB and CAI and the y-pipe, free flow exhaust and underdrivepullies. Then some performance tunes with the X-cal from Torrie. That is as good as you will get, with the stock 4.0L

FORGET the headers.... COMPLETE WASTE of money and about $500.000 bucks !!!

Plus the JBA bolts suck, they are not long enough, NOT stainless, and if you like bending your coil mount, oil dipstick, dpfe pipe and AC line than go for it !!

Todd Z

You mean to say that there are no aftermarket headers that can increase power on the 4L engine??? My mechanic friend say those engines can get a lot of power if properly upgraded...What about for the mustang, arent they pretty similar? I figure the ST is just lower geared for more torque for towing etc...

Yup,

I want to port my OEM manifolds and install them on a ST and see those gains !!!

Todd Z

I haven't put the headers on my trac, however my bro did the headers on his turbo talon, and the only advantage was the turbo spooling faster... much much faster. but the over all power did not increase from this. adding headers however can reduce the under hood temps when used with a complete exhaust system, which in theory can help to prevent detonation, but most of us trac owners don't have a problem with that.

It's not that the headers are bad, just that the stock manifolds are pretty good, so there is very little gain. Random Tech Y-pipe and the cat-back system of your choice will give you more bang for the buck. TB and a tuner, yeah, that should give you about 15 hp. Consider a Zabteck CAI too.