Income Tax Software

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
Anyone using TurboTax. I need the Home & Business version as I am an independent contractor employee and I need the deductions. My question: Turbo 2009 is $90.00, Turbo 2008 is $40.00. Do I need the 2009 version? Anyone want to suggest an alternative to Turbo. Please provide your opinions/experiences.

Every year, tax laws and forms change, and in turn, we completely revise TurboTax to comply with the current federal and state requirements.

Because TurboTax is designed for a specific tax year, you need TurboTax 2009 to do your 2009 tax return. You cannot convert or upgrade TurboTax 2008 to TurboTax 2009.

TurboTax 2009 is available at many retail stores from approximately mid-November 2009 until mid-April 2010 and year-round at www.turbotax.com.

I buy the new version every year, and have been using Turbo Tax for about 10 years now. Seems to have done me well.. no complaints.

I've used Turbo tax for many years without any problems. Don't trust most of them Yahoo's out there doing taxes. If your military, Turbo Tax usually offers it for free. I just retired so I'll be paying for it this year. Plus you can claim the cost of the software as tax prep fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to get an email every year at work. I know the link is old, but I just did a quick google on it. Link for more----

Checked Turbo Tax- they changed it up this year. Free to use, print, and E-file but you got to pay at the end a reduced price for it. All versions included in the offer.

Even though we are military I doubt we qualify for any of the free stuff since I'm self employed, and have a rental property. That usually complicates things, thanks for the links though.

I have used TurboTax for about 14-15 years and will continue to use it since it is the premier tax software.

The only time I had problems was about 13 years ago when I worked as a computer consultant and did work in about 8 different states. The consulting firm I worked for was listed as Open For Business in those states so they deducted state tax for the state you worked in and earned that money even though I was always a resident of Texas.

By stating they were Open for Business in each state that they put consultants in to work, they got a tax break, and I was told I needed to file a state tax return in each state to get my money back. Since most of my work was in Pennsylvania I only tried to file a state there to get a refund A glitch in the TuboTax software kept including all my income from my federal taxes which made it appear that I owed PA taxes on all of my earnings and TurboTax kept showing that I owed PA thousands $$ more. In the end, I called Intuit and they did not have a solution? I ulimately never got a refund from PA that year. The next year I ran my own consulting firm and did not register as Open for Business in other states and did not pay taxes to other states.

...Rich

+1 for TurboTax...have been using for decades.

RichardL,

Interesting. I've used TurboTax for my wife's work back in 1992 era. Back then, I worked for a consulting company and had income from work in NY, PA, and Conn, but was a resident of NY at the time. Taxes were taken out and paid to NY only as was customary because that is where my company was based. I had to file non-resident tax returns for all three states; and NY credited PA and Conn the non-resident taxes due. That's the way it worked for me.

Guess I was lucky.

FairTax would be easier!

TJR

Mom used H&R Block's software and ended up getting audited. The program failed to recognize the difference between railroad retirement social security and regular social security. As a result, she didn't pay in enough in taxes and the IRS caught it.

I ran her figures using TurboTax and it caught the differences.

I have always used TurboTax, but tried H&R Block's Software last year after recieving a fee copy in the mail. Prepared my taxes w/ both softwares, and my rebate was larger with Turbotax. I'll continue to use that.

I have also used TurboTax for quite a few years -- unfortunately, yes, you do need to buy the program every year, but that is much less than having someone else do it and much easier than doing it by hand. And, the purchase price is tax deductible.

TJR,

My resident state of Texas does not have a state income tax, so there was nothing for PA to credit to. But that may be what caused the problem with TurboTax?? I did not have to pay any state tax to my state of residence, and only filed a PA state tax return to get a refund as a non-resident of PA.

You may have hit the nail on the head !! Thanks

...Rich

Have used H&RB's TaxCut for many many years. This year branded just as H&R Block 2009. No issues here, and generally happy. Online reviews have as almost a tie with Turbo Tax. Can't go wrong with either. Just get the type\level that best handles your income tax situation (eg. Basic, Deluxe, etc.)

I don't mean to overstep the line but can't resist commenting on your situation Mark K - if the right figures were entered in the right fields, that program should have calculated correctly, unless the field entries were manually overridden or incomplete info was provided. Further, at the end of the return Taxcut does a check and issues cautions and warnings to check before proceeding to file. If that happened and they were ignored not nice things could result if the return is filed. My point - if in fact entries were correct in the right fields and the program did not calculate correctly, then you should have a valid software liability claim to pursue with H&R Block (to recover any costs and penalties incurred as a result of the error), which I would have done. I'm sorry your mom had the experience that she did. Hope she has better luck in the future.

Latest posts