increase gas mileage?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Job 1 ST with 95,000 on it...I put a K and N Filter in the airbox about 4 months ago, i'm wondering what else i can do to get better city mileage...i'm not gettin more than about 11 or 12...

Thanks,

Andy

how old is the fuel filter replace it what oil are you running 5w30 synthetic will help. reset the computer this may help and a tuner from WFoy will help out alot if you can get past hot roding around now that your trac will run sooooo good.check link

what computer do i reset, and how would i do this? also, my tranny is shifting kinda firmly would resetting help this too?

thanks

Nothing you do short of buying a new car is going to help much. 11 or 12 mpg is likely a driving style issue or heavy, stop and go city traffic that is beyond your control. Intakes, filters, etc will be of no help at all in heavy traffic; they only affect performance at or near wide-open-throttle. To reset computer, disconnect battery for about 10 to 15 minutes.

larger "truck" tires with higher inflation, K&N air filter, up gas grade to 89 octane+, use Cruise-Control,

drive at 1800-2000 rpm's, and keep it "tuned".

watch for 8-9 L/100KM, or 30-35 mpg. Yes !:rolleyes:

11-12 does seem very low. The average for ST's is around 16-17, which is what I'm getting. You can't do much better then that without seriously changing your driving habits and spending big bucks for a tuner.

My 01 just hit 90K and I just changed the plugs and wires and did notice an increase in gas mileage. Even with bigger tires than stock I average between 16-18 MPG. 11-12 sounds like there is something wrong or you have a very heavy foot. Change fuel filter, plugs, wires, flush radiator, check air in tires. Just my suggestions!

Latest posts