info on check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Revezzo

Reaction score
I do not have an owners manual, and need to know if there is a special check that would make the "check engine" light come on at 84K miles. As soon as it turned to 84K the light came on. Also how can you reset the light. Thanks for your help.

Dave R in Jacksonville

Go to Advance Auto. They will read the code and tell you. Write it down, bring it back here and tell us and we'll be more than happy to help you. There are thousands of codes that can be thrown, and though there are more common ones, there's no way to guess what your problem is without knowing the code or symptoms.

That being said, I'm guessing P0171, DPFE sensor or cracked vacuum hose.

Dave,

There is nothing that it is set to turn on at.... More then likely there is a sensor or a vacuum line that split...

Places like Autozone and stuff will check the codes for free...

They also sell scanners for $40.00 to check it and reset it your self...

A member on the site here may live near you and be able to check it for you...

When you get the code, let US know FIRST before you do any thing. there are several codes that we know the fix for...

Todd Z

I want to reiterate, BUY NOTHING until you give us the number, just trust us on this and you will see once you post the code.

I just had my check engine light come on and thought something similar; that it auto-illumunated when I hit 50K miles. The code equated to a lean mixture or something; turned out to be a bad vacuum hose. Luckily, the mechanic was honest and didn't try to talk me into replacing the O2 sensors or MAF.

I did call the Ford dealer and asked if the light comes on automatically at certain mileage intervals, but they wouldn't answer the question; just kept stating I need to bring it in to get it checked.

BTW, I used an independant mechanic. I don't trust my local Ford service shop; (Kelley in Melbourne, FL) they've burned me on a replacement key before. I called and asked for an estimate, was quoted $75, when I got there, the price jumped to $150.