Installed Michelin Defender LTX MS Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
More than ten years and dry rot beginning to show it was time for new shoes. My previous Michelin Latitude Tour model was discontinued so I needed to do some research for replacements. When I bought the Latitude Tours in 2010, I was also considering the LTX M/S2 that was very highly regarded with some claims of lasting over 100,000 miles. Comparing both tread patterns I believed the Latitudes would be a better choice for my type of driving and would be a smoother and quieter ride. Latitude Tour is P rated (passenger car) and the Defender LTX MS is a LT (light truck) model with stiffer sidewalls. Long story short, the Defender LTX MS are just as quiet with comparable fuel economy after driving about 1000 miles. As expected, the Defender rides slightly firmer due to the stiffer sidewalls using the same 35 PSI in all tires. These are stock sized 235/70-16 for my 3:73 XLS. (4:10 uses 255/70-16) What convinced me to pull the trigger was my Sam's Club Plus price of $655 installed including tax. I'll have alignment checked by a shop I've used before that specializes in modified suspensions. (Lowered 2.5" front and 3" rear) 235/70-16 size is only available with raised white letters and thought I'd leave them facing out and be extra careful around curbs. Haven't had raised white letters on a vehicle since my 1979 Ranchero (third pic) with BFG Radial T/A's.

Attachments

• DSC08493.JPG
    DSC08493.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC08501.JPG
    DSC08501.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20210518_0006.jpg
    IMG_20210518_0006.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Nice.
Don't ya hate that?... need new tries because of dry rot, not because they are worn. I have had to do that twice now.

Dry rot seems to be the most common complaint with Michelin tires. They claim to have developed a new compound that will counter dry rot. We'll see. Truck is garage kept and I avoid using cleaners or dressings unless absolutely needed. Old Latitudes only rolled around 30,000 miles in ten years and were rotated every 5000 miles. My guess is they had around 10,000 to 15,000 miles of tread remaining. I always check build dates before buying. Three of the new Defender's were dated 0921 and one was 1121. that means they were made the 9th and 11th week of this year. No wonder they felt warm to the touch. JK ; )

The last set of tires I put on my 2002 4WD ST were Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires because I did a fair amount of back road travel and a bit of four-wheeling on rocky terrain. I loved those tires and had a lot of confidence in them. And despite the somewhat aggressive tread, they were not noisy.

When I bought the used 2010 LTD 4WD the dealer had put on a new set of General Altimax RT43 tires. I soon learned to hate them on my cross-country road trips because of the incredibly loud whine on certain types of concrete Interstate highway. After a couple of hours of listening to that noise it drove me nuts.

Even though they were not worn out, in anticipation of another cross-country road trip in 2016 I decided to look for new tires. Unfortunately, Goodyear did not make the Silent Armor tire in a size to fit the 18" wheels on my 2010. Thus began a search for a beefier tire than the passenger car type tire currently on my ST.

I finally narrowed the online search down to a few brands/models and then went to my favorite tire stores to look at my choices. I decided on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. That was five years and 32,000 miles ago and I still like these tires. They are terrific on wet highways and twisting mountain roads. I'm not as confident taking them out four-wheeling as I was with the Silent Armor tires so I limit the gnarly back road driving to the Jeep instead.

Hi Steve, I have the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus. In 265/60-18. They are T-speed rating. Have a true 9" tread width. Tread wear 400, traction A temp B, rated as xtra load. Only a few tenths shorter, than the OEM 255/70-16. I have the 4:10 gears Not high on the tread wear. They get excellent traction and very quiet at all speeds . With my heavy foot. I have to move the front to the rear every 15k to 20K miles. Then buy 2 new for the front. I have bad habit of launching for fast go. With the addition of the Richmond Gear mechanical locker, added to my open gear housing. I get even wear on both rear tires. Sometimes it locks both wheels too soon making a right turn from stop. I can get a good straight launch though.
Discount tire used to stock them. Now they have a in house cooper H/T P.
Bought 2, then had them to order what I wanted and take them off, 2 days latter. Theirs did not ride the same or handle the same. The cooper I like is about 2/3rds the cost of your Michelin's. I like the looks and performance of the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus. So I for go the lower mileage. To be happy.
1621544830658.png

Thanks Eddie. Buying tires in Hawaii can be challenging. Sam's Club Plus membership only cost me an extra $10 per year otherwise I would have had to pay shipping. Considered the Cooper H/T Plus that YOU recommended a while back, but couldn't find a local dealer that stocked my 235/70-16 size. They can get them, but shipping would be extra. Many tire dealers match warehouse club prices, but most only do it if you pay for mounting and balancing plus all their extras. Lex Brodie's has been the #! tire shop in Hawaii for decades and matched Sam's Club price, but only if I paid for the extras and alignment. Bottom line, their price was almost $300 higher. I don't rely on reviews, but I've never seen higher ratings for tires than the older LTX M/S2 or the replacement Defenders. Time will tell.

BTW, hows your new W10 computah? LOL

Many tire dealers match warehouse club prices, but most only do it if you pay for mounting and balancing plus all their extras.
Pep-Boys was bad about that. Some of their own sale prices included you pay for all the bells and whistles. Just to get there sale price...Sad to say that is how I got my first cooper hts plus tires.
That was the time the tire guy was going to put the lift pads under my rocker panel. instead of the frame. I'm glad I was in the garage.
I have a hard time with trust. I always sneak into the garages and shops. They scratched the face of the rim lip, on all 4 wheels. I got a $750 settlement. Polished it out myself. The wheels are Enkei RT-6, and obsolete. Center caps were all rusty. I ordered new ones from Gorilla wheel accessories.

To much happening. haven't' got the new computer set up yet. I have go to the vet tomorrow. My cat developed lumps on 2 nipples and they are bleeding. I feel like I'm on a 8 second rodeo bull ride, and the 8 seconds has not timed out....LOL....:(

I just put a set of Michelin Premier LTXs on my '08 STA. I've mostly had Michelin's on my vehicles since my father-in-law gave me a set of Michelin snow tires (never had to chain them). They always gave me 60K+ milage. These new ones are quiet and the ride is as nice as the Adrenalin's suspension will allow. No vibration and very good handling performance. I've never had weather checking on my Michelin's. Perhaps because my vehicles are always garaged and get less UV exposure. We will see as I expect to have this truck for a long time.

I just bought a full set of the LTX m/s myself. Supposed to install Tuesday. I see one post says don't use degreaser which I have always used just prior to washing. What about the tire shine products. Do those speed up dry rot in anyway?

i have been detailing cars for 40 years and have seen a lot of products come and go, and a degreaser to spray on tires is fine just do not let sit, and a silicone base is easiest to work with and it is a protectant as wax is for paint and does not damage or cause rot, same as leather and vinyl. different products for different jobs. only complaint would be that it attracts dust etc. but it will keep mud from sticking as easy.

Have 5 sport tracks 2 sports. Not the 40 grand new ones. (Redicious) anyway got all different tires on each so I can judge a fairly decent ride. Most came with the truck when I got them or picked them up at junkyard in pairs in like new condition…hands down Michelin LTX m/s are the best tires out of the lot. And I did change then to another s/t daughter was driving and same great ride on that truck..got L/Ts on two trucks rough ride but it’s not fair cause there 6 ply and 50 min psi but the others have regular steel ply from Korea. Forgot name on vacation…not as nice a ride..that said Walmart $70 for korea
VS Costco $125(guess). Big difference
BUT…the Michelin’s last way longer in fla sun and made in America so I got money now so I go with the Michelin’s
I am amazed at the ride difference my guess is the rubber compound.

About 10000 miles ago I switched out my BF Goodrich Rough Terrain tires for a set of Costco Michelin XLT A/S tires - I liked the Goodrich tires but thought they were noisy - since most of my driving is long highway trips I thought switching might cut down the tire noise as the rough terrain tires were really noisy - however Michelins are also really noisy - right now I am wondering if I have a left front hub going bad but it really sounds like tire noise - and everyone that has ridden in it thought it was tire noise

So question is are your Michelins noisy? I see reports that they are quiet

I have 5 S/T 1 gen and 2 sports
Got them all with bad motors or bad trannys 100k plus most came with good tires…so I was able to judge what was a smooth quiet tire. One came with Firestone L/T tires 245/75 r16 50 /80 psi. That’s a hard ride over bumps and
Road. But it is a L/T better gas mileage
Longer wear and 6 ply sidewalls.so it’s expected..
Dextero dht2 265/70 r16 111T Walmart Korea cheapest tire $80
Ride ok price is good
General grappler 265/70/16 usa 112 S
Good ride price???
Michelin’s ride the smoothest Costco
But most expensive USA I believe
$140 guess but the rubber is softest
But last a really long time great for fla.
Higher the speed rating and the bigger and stronger the tire The harder the ride on most tires. Tuff to get a really smooth ride with big strong tires
Bigger tires stronger sidewalls
Harder ride
235/75r16 gives a good ride but it’s a small tire. But there lighter tires
Better ride
Those ones on sport ..Firestone that flipped. So be aware
Plus factors ….ball joints good
Shocks good sway bar bushing good
And steering parts
Hope it helps

I have 5 S/T 1 gen and 2 sports
Got them all with bad motors or bad trannys 100k plus most came with good tires…so I was able to judge what was a smooth quiet tire. One came with Firestone L/T tires 245/75 r16 50 /80 psi. That’s a hard ride over bumps and
Road. But it is a L/T better gas mileage
Longer wear and 6 ply sidewalls.so it’s expected..
Dextero dht2 265/70 r16 111T Walmart Korea cheapest tire $80
Ride ok price is good
General grappler 265/70/16 usa 112 S
Good ride price???
Michelin’s ride the smoothest Costco
But most expensive USA I believe
$140 guess but the rubber is softest
But last a really long time great for fla.
Higher the speed rating and the bigger and stronger the tire The harder the ride on most tires. Tuff to get a really smooth ride with big strong tires
Bigger tires stronger sidewalls
Harder ride
235/75r16 gives a good ride but it’s a small tire. But there lighter tires
Better ride
Those ones on sport ..Firestone that flipped. So be aware
Plus factors ….ball joints good
Shocks good sway bar bushing good
And steering parts
Hope it helps
Interesting - thanks for posting - the ride and handling on the Costco Michelins is great and they were pricy - have not driven them in snow yet but in everything but sand they performed well even though they are strictly a road tire. Thing is they are really noisy - the highway whine is pretty annoying and makes me think the hub is going out although no other hub wear symptoms - since I mainly use the ST for long - 2000 mile plus - drives the whine makes the drive less enjoyable - once I convince myself that is just tire noise - likely by changing out the hub - I will suck it up until these wear out and probably go with BF Goodrich All Terrain next as I like the more rugged look and they have performed well in the past

I wonder if it might be your differential that is whining. I have Michelin LTXs on the STA and they seem pretty quiet to me. I think they are pretty much a road tire though.

Hmmm - had not really considered the front diff as the culprit - just changed the gear oil in the front diff and did not notice a difference before and after the change - do you have any idea on how to troubleshoot that short of swapping it out?

I don't know how you'd isolate it. Perhaps shifting in four wheel drive and see if you hear a difference? I'm in the middle of a 500 mile trip and on the best roads at hi-way speeds I don't hear any tire noise. I don't hear any tire noise when driving slower either. I do hear tire noise on cement pavement, not on asphalt.

I don't know how you'd isolate it. Perhaps shifting in four wheel drive and see if you hear a difference? I'm in the middle of a 500 mile trip and on the best roads at hi-way speeds I don't hear any tire noise. I don't hear any tire noise when driving slower either. I do hear tire noise on cement pavement, not on asphalt.
Thanks - I appreciate the response

Latest posts