Installing an E Locker

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryRigour

Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
2010 gen2 XLT 4x4

I’m looking to upgrade my gear ratio once I get bigger tires, and in that same project I want to install an E locker in the rear diff.

This project is quite complex, and I’ll likely get a 4x4 shop to do it, but I’m curious if there are any major conflicts with doing so. Specifically, I’ve read the manual on how the 4x4 Auto and AdvanceTrac systems work, and they seem more complicated than your average 4x4.

Does anyone know if a locking differential would make any of these unique systems act weird? Or am I on my own with this project? Haha

Any insights to how these systems work would be appreciated.

I would go with a quality LSD. E is great but not meant for burnouts, and other fun stuff. Also they do "Stick" a lot and don't function good for street vehicles.

Last edited:
I have a Powertrax I've had on the shelf for a few years. It's supposed to be a street locker designed for minimal chatter in turns. Never got around to installing it. My Trac is a 4x2 with a standard diff. I'd still like to get it on there, but now I've got a 17' travel trailer. I don't know if this particular locker will interfere with towing and backing up the trailer.
Any advice?

All the lockers unlock under load in turns, and don't work in reverse when backing up. Id say you will be fine using that for towing. But not for daily street use.

Last edited:
I have a Powertrax I've had on the shelf for a few years. It's supposed to be a street locker
If it is the Richmond gear Powertrax for open gear mod. Dump it. I have the same one on my '04 with the 4:10 oem gear. It only unlocks when making a turn, W/ No throttle. Any throttle It will lock and the inside tire on the turn will skip. I hate mine It wears out my rear tires. I have wondered if it would snap an axle. Chatters on wet pavement on take off.
I talked to Richmond gear tech. I was told the unit is suppose to fucntion with throttle up. Only will unlock when off the throttle.
Someday I will install a true LS.

If it is the Richmond gear Powertrax for open gear mod. Dump it. I have the same one on my '04 with the 4:10 oem gear. It only unlocks when making a turn, W/ No throttle. Any throttle It will lock and the inside tire on the turn will skip. I hate mine It wears out my rear tires. I have wondered if it would snap an axle. Chatters on wet pavement on take off.
I talked to Richmond gear tech. I was told the unit is suppose to fucntion with throttle up. Only will unlock when off the throttle.
Someday I will install a true LS.
I don't know if it is, or not. I'll have to take a look at it again. Been a few years. Thanks for the heads up.

so I have the open diff, which is horrible in snow and mud. I looked into all this and there are many options.

For everything except serious off-roading I'd get the Detroit TrueTrac. This is a Torsen style limited slip, like the diffs in a Subaru. It's fully mechanical, instead of using a clutch like Ford factory limited-slip diffs. This directs torque to the gripping wheel automagically.
Problems: it's about 600, and the install requires a bearing puller, press, new crush sleeves, shimming, lash adjustment etc etc.. I'd guess about 800 for install. It's beyond my skills to do at home.

If mostly doing off-roading, the Powertrax and similar 'lunchbox' drop-ins are a decent option. They are cheaper, and the install is straightforward - I could do it, or a mechanic could probably do it for a hundred or two. But as Eddie says, there are many reports of these being a bit unpleasant on the road - chirps on all the turns as the tires skip, odd behavior in snow/ice where it'll lock and push the truck straight instead of through the turn, etc.

The Ford Truelok is the factory option for limited slip differentials, Ford Racing part # M-4204-F318C. This has carbon clutch plates to allow for the limited slip. Those plates will wear out eventually. Much better than open, good for road too. It's much cheaper than the Truetrac, 200-300, but has the same install costs. At that point I'd rather get the TrueTrac.

So at this point I'm not up for spending 1400 on a new diff, and not willing to put up with the Powertrax problems since this is my daily driver. 200lbs of sand and better tires it is then..

Latest posts