Intake Manifold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
This weekend replaced the "O" rings on the the upper and lower intake manifold. Symptoms of failure were; CEL, poor idle when cold and rough running in cold temps. The S-T is a 2001, 4X4, automatic transmission.

Usd the Ford factory manual, however it required several unnecessary steps. The job is straight forward. The upper manifold must be removed to get access to the bolts holding the lower manifold. Use a shop vaccuum to remove all the dead bugs, leaves and dirt as you progress down to the lower manifold. Mark and keep track of all the vaccuum hoses and wires that are disconnected. The coil pack has to be removed so identify the spark plug wires before disconnecting them. Clean all the mating surfaces of the manifold parts before reassembly. Took me about 4 hours. Could do it in less time as the Ford manual lead me astray.

Runs great now. Anxious to see if the MPG will increase. Probably not, as the S-T really responds when I put my foot into it and that hurts MPG. Did not do this when it was running poorly.

Used an earlier post on this topic to assist me.

Cool.......

:cool::cool:

Todd Z