Intake Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Grant

Reaction score
Hello All

I have seen many different air intake systems available for the ST. What are the advantages to the very expensive models like the K&N FIPK. I noticed a member on the board made his own that drew air from in front of the engine bay. Will the engine gain performance regardless of how expensive the system is.

the biggest potential difference(s) would be fit, finish, and filter quality. Without major modification our tracs will never see much difference between the different intake options. All depends on how much you want to spend and how pretty you want it to be. The best bang for the buck on the intake would be the mac which will provide all three of the benefits I listed above (assuming the chrome finish is to your liking).

Ryan,

Spaceman Spiff is correct. It all depends upon the look you are going after. There is no measurable performance difference between all the major brands.

Near all take the input air from behind the passenger side headlight as does the original air box. The only improvement would be to isolate the the intake from pulling in any heated underhood air. Most systems that do that will mount the filter down low near the bumper or in the fender well. While that works, it is not ideal for an off-road vehicle since a low mounted intake can suck up water from fording streams or going through large puddles.

...Rich

While K&N is expensive (unless you find a good deal on eBay), the more expensive intake would be the Volant. Spaceman is dead on...with marginal differences in performance between the different types of FIPKs, it basically comes down to money and appearance.

I have the Volant. It is probably the most restrictive of the major systems the members here have, since it's still a box with some holes in it. I took a hack saw and basically cut away at 2 sides, so it still has the pretty c/f cover, is heat shielded, and still lets in enough air for the performance gains.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I went with the K&N as my first mod. I would probably have gone with the one from Explorer Express if I had known about them at the time.:rolleyes:

I went the ebay route. Got screwed the first time, went with a different vendor the second time and I am more then happy with the money I spent for the parts I recieved. The name brand ones are nice and all but as mentioned I doubt there is very much difference in actual performance. To each his own.

I have pics in my library of the ebay setup I just installed, as well as a project on the projects page of the install.

So to add on to the original question, if appearance doesn't matter, would the MAC still be one the best for the money? And what is the difference between the K&N FIPK and the MAC, is it mainly just appearance? If I went with the MAC, would anyone suggest getting the air senor also or is that going to be a waste of money?

C2

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainly just appearence - black plastic vs. chrome... and arguably, K&N was/is the original. Both will perform the same function.

Ryan, I have the AEM Brute Force system on my wife's ST and I love it!

I noticed big gains as far as getting on it on the highway, and SHE claims about a 2mpg increase. (which I used as a selling point to her for me to buy it!)