Intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Was prowling around the Trac today (gee, finally a Saturday with nothing else to do but cut grass). Once the engine broke in, the Gibson exhaust has picked up 3 mpg on the highway. Spent some time studying the intake. The filter was surprisingly dirty considering that I only have 12,000 miles on the truck. No CAI is available yet for the '07-'08 V6 but frankly the stock intake and airbox doesn't look at all restrictive. There is a ram tube behind the grille that runs into an even bigger oval tube to the airbox. No silencer that I could see or feel. I was expecting the V8-style box that Dingo sliced open, I even had my Dremel ready to go, but the V6 airbox is different. Thinking about maybe getting a Zabteck throttle body and a K&N drop-in and call it good. I put a K&N replacement filter in the '02 4.0 SOHC Ranger I used to have and I didn't think it made any difference in anything, but the truck was stock otherwise.

No headers available yet but the stock manifolds don't look restrictive either and I know Todd reported minimal improvement with the headers on his Trac.

[/rambling]

I heard through the grape vine that the 01-05 headers are the same.....

Also grab a KKM v6 intake and to the "Zabteck" mod to it with the K&N drop in filter....

Then a TB, wires, coil, pulleys, Xcal, and your ready to rock and roll !!!

Todd Z

www.kustomz.com has an intake system for the 4.0L V6.

Thanks. I checked it out and it looks more like a hot air intake though. Or does the cone filter fit inside the stock airbox? In the pic it is sitting out in the open.

Also grab a KKM v6 intake and to the "Zabteck" mod to it with the K&N drop in filter....

What's that? *Edit* I did a Search and came up with a mod to the V8 airbox but not the V6. Don't know if that would work for me or not.

Thanks Todd. Just looking at ways to pick up a few more mpg without spending a ton of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to open up the top of the intake tube inside the airbox but the Dremel attachment I need for the cutting wheel is missing its screw. :rolleyes: Oh well, try tomorrow.

Got the filter. The Pep Boys insert in the Sunday paper has a $10 off coupon on K&N's.
808d8ca547f533f1c1a4c1ace641c198.gif

Latest posts