Interior ligths won't come on when doors are open

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Barnes

Reaction score
I think I have already posted this problem before, but I couldn't find the previous post.

I have a 2002 ST.

My interior lights work ONLY when I manually rotate the instrument panel dimmer switch all the way UP. I don't think my switch is bad because I changed it with my dad 99 Mercury Mountaineer and both of our switches work in his truck and neither work in mine.

I don't think it is the door ajar switch because the "door ajar" light comes on and goes off properly with all the doors.

I have a wiring diagram book for my truck, but I have still yet to figure it out.

Please email me if you post a reply to this message at [email protected]

Thanks,

Jason

Some Ford trucks have TWO switches in the door latch. Ridiculous, I know, but one works the overhead lamp, the other works the light on the dash. Shoot a little WD40 in the latch area and open and close the door a few times. It could just be stuck. If not, you will have to take the latch out to change the switch. Depending on the age and use of the latch, you might just want to go ahead and replace it. The switches usually come in them.

Does it work if the passenger door opens? If so, then it is the drivers door switch.

Tom

Also spray some lube inside the door latch on the side of the door and open and close it a couple of times, It may just be stuck..

Todd Z

My old Ranger had a similar problem, instead of not coming on, the light wouldn't go out. A little WD-40 in the driver's side latch solved the problem.

I can open each door one at a time, all at once, or in any combination and the lights still don't come on. I will try WD-40, but I doubt that all 4 doors would be malfunctioning.

Latest posts