Interior squeaks and clanks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B M

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has "issues" like my wife says I do. I have a problem with 'noises' that shouldn't be there. Loose change somewhere, a wire or plastic clip vibrating under the dash, just noises.... Annoying little things.. I'm a pilot, and I am always listening to things while flying. If you fly for a while, the plane talks to you before the proverbial S_ i t hits the fan. Obviously my '01 ST, isn't exactly a silent oasis, of serenity while driving, but my wife's car was. As of late, there were a couple really 'clunky' sounds coming from the dash area. Mostly sounding when hitting bumps, or a low speed on a less than smooth road. Just couldn't find it, because I was usually driving. I needed to find the noise location by sticking my ear all around. My only option today was to have my teenage daughter drive and I search.... I just couldn't stomach being a passenger with a teenager. She scares me.... Anyway, I downloaded an app called TONE: The ultimate tone generator.. A free apple app able to play waves with frequencies from 7Hz to 10,000Hz. I plugged the Iphone into the AUX hookup, searched the frequencies, and around 55Hz with the base and volume turned up VOILA!!! The damn sound!!!! Come to find out it was a clip that came loose behind the radio, that just was rattling like crazy.. Sound gone.. Not sure if this is a common "tool" used by folks, but it's just something that worked, for interior clunks and groans.. Probably notttttttt gonna work for under the hood type groans, but if you went BIG then maybe!!! Just thought I'd share... An yes, I guess I'm a freak.. Sorry!!

Nice, I'm the same way with noises, especailly in my vehicles. I don't like noises that shouldn't be there because it could be really bad or just annoying, either way I have to find and fix it ASAP!!! I'm gonna have to check out that APP. for my Iphone.

:haveabeer::supercool::banana:

Phewww, I thought I was the only one.. When I tell the wife, that it's just my attention to detail, she just rolls her eyes and walks away...

That's genius, I never thought of trying that. I hate all the rattles and squeaks, and I do my best to hunt them out, but when I start looking, the song usually changes just enough that I can't hear them anymore. Def gonna try this out.

Latest posts