Intermittent Cruise "Speed" Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzinit

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My cruise would work intermittently. The rubber on the buttons were shot, replaced with Amazon cheapies. I used the exisitng wiring in the steering wheel. just has to be very gentle using a small flatheat screwdriver to pry the connectors up. Still intermittent. Found this Diagnostic.

*cruise control self test*

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:

2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).

3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.

4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective

Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position

That was cool, verified all buttons worked and systems are a go.
Using forscan I tested the brake PID and they looked good. But i could not find a PID for the brake Pressure switch.

Youtube search easy test pressure switch should have continuity in default position. No Continuity.
Saw another guy on youtube, remove the switch, banging the table until it showed continutiy.
I sprayed brake clean into the hole, banged it on a cloth covered table, checked, nothing.
Cleaned it again, banged a little harder on the sides and bottom, Checked Bingo Continuity.
Cleand one more time for good measure, Popped it back in the ST, We are Cruzinit baby :cool:

Latest posts