Invisible fencing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Reaction score
Does anyone have any 1st hand experience with the invisible fencing for pets, where a wire is buried on your property and the pet wears a special collar/receiver that warns/shocks them? would like to get some 1st hand experience with this type of fencing. Thanks

My mother in law has this for her dog (pool in back yard) they are great. Does not take long for pets to understand that they can't go there. usually there is a DVD disc showing you how to train them not to go near the line. We have had a few problems with the wire breaking. just where it is exposed ex:lawnmower. and actually the dog doesn't even wear it anymore and she knows now that she can only go certian places. IMO they are great

We had one. The main thing is, once they break through that barrier, there's no more shocking, and they can't get back in the yard without shocking again. It may be good for smaller dogs, but our Doberman/rotweiler mix will run straight through it with a little yelp and be outside the fence like it was nothing. He figured out that if he runs fast enough, it's only a small split second shock.

I have read of things like this, Ryan, is the wire not buried 2-3 inches below ground???

Have heard of larger dogs going thru the wire so to speak, and then not willing to come back into their own yard, we have a boxer pup right now, but will be in the 50 to 60 lb range when grown, and a small 7 lb mutt that just loves to wander off following its nose. I have heard where small dogs (under 8-10 lbs) can be hurt, and with the extreme size variance I will have, don't know that it will stop the boxer when grown if the power is set to not harm the small mutt

They work for most dogs. I have an ex-racing greyhound though, they told us that a greyhound will blow right over it and be gone before they feel anything* :lol: so we got a regular fence.

* A racing greyhound will go 0-45 mph in five strides.

I have two in-laws that have it. One small dog and one a English Bull Dog.

The dogs get notice by some beeping and then if they continue will get shocked.

They both say that it is the best money they have spent as far as the safety of their dog goes...

It works for our cat, he used to always hop the fence and disappear for the day, he did it a few times with the invisible fence hooked up, but now he just stays in the back yard, doesn't even need to wear the collar anymore.

I have the wireless fince. I love it! I think it is from pet safe. I have 2 grate danes an it works perfect! It comes with a transmiter that sends out a signal 90 feet so there is 180 feet across the circle. It can be adjusted to a smaller range. the shock of the coller can be adjusted as well. When the dog or who's ever neck it is on will beep when you aproch the limit and shocks at the limit of the range. If the dog goes past it out of range it will keep shocking till it comes back or the batteries run out. Works well on a 145 pound dog. I have used it for 6 years now and all i have had to do is replace the battires. the instructions are very good on how the mark the yard and where to set the transmitter. Check it out.

I have the petsafe invisible fence wireless also, and the batteries are a pain... They run out pretty fast. but it does work. I would still not trust it if another dog came down though as he will bust out!!! HE is friendly however and that's what copunts most of the time.

Joseymack

A workmate did this with his Rotwieler. He was diging and climbing the fence. He didnot bury it. Put it above ground on stakes. Nowdays he doesnt even have to turn it on. The dog knows the boundries.

A neighbor of mine has one and his yellow lab is constantly walking up and down the street. Luckily, he's a friendly dog so it's not a safety concern. Like a lot of labs, I think he's just a loveable dope who doesn't mind the discomfort of the fence so much and just likes to go for a stroll.

The other thing I just thought of, an Invisible Fence will not keep stray dogs out of your yard. But then too I have a real fence and one night last year I walk into the kitchen and at the back door is Mister Wiggles, who belongs to the local Olympic Silver Medalist (everybody has one of those in their neighborhood, right?). He's small enough to get under the fence and stops by to say hello when he gets loose.

Take a newspaper and roll it up real tight. Evertime you dog leaves you yard, hit yourself over the head and say "I will train my dog". Worked for me after a couple of months.

I had one, my Beagle is stuborn and would test it all the time. It would give a warning beep before shocking. If it didn't beep the battery was dead and the beagle was gone touring the neighborhood.

For the facts that I didn't know when the battery would die and didn't last long, the battery was a CR2 at $3-5, the wire got nicked, corroded and stoped working, thus costing $50 for someone to come out with a sensor to find the break. I just couldn't depend on it and ended up having a real fence put in for $4000...

Electric fence by PetSafe. My black lab/retriever was jumping over our normal fence so I had to put in the electric fence. Works wonders.

When we moved to a new house, I did not have it set up right away but put a new set of white flags up and it kept her from getting out until she slowly realized she could exit w/o getting zapped.

I keep her's on 3 out of 5 just so if she starts to get out I can bump it up to 4. I can then bring it back to 3 once she it re-trained. I have not had to do this with her.

PetSafe is a good company as they sent me a whole new main unit when somehow mine was fried - not sure if it was lightning or what but the fuse was shot and it would not work with a new one. One email, a return email asking me which model and 3 days later I had a new unit.

I use the wired unit as you can control the boundary a little better than the wireless. If you have areas you want the dog to go you just twist the wire around itself and it cancels the signal. There is a CAD like application on their website where you can set up your layout before actually attempting it.

Note well where your lines are if you aerate your lawn, this will keep you from walking around with the collar and listening for the beeps. I have set my lines down essentially where there is no grass just islands througout my property and across a space gap in my driveway - use a little rubber caulk to keep it in place.

Another good thing with the PetSafe is you can set up how wide the path of 'shock' is, which is also setting up how wide the alert path is as well. Anyone who says their dog only gets shocked a little could expand the path and the dog would get a good dose. I go about 3-4 feet on each side of the wire.

Good luck, I could not be happier with mine.

JT#14

I installed my own for my two boxers, and it didn't take much time at all for my youngest(about a year) to figure it out, she no longer needs the collar at all. My older "non friendly to other dogs" boxer, is about 75lbs, and ran right through the fence with the "standard" collar that comes with the Petsafe kit. I bought the "stubborn" dog collar off of eBay, and it put her on her ass the first few times she tried to wonder through it. After that, she doesn't even go close to the boundries.

I left the flags in the ground for about 2 weeks, and trained them as the instruction CD states, and it was no problem. They won't even go out of the yard when childern or other dogs walk by within 2-3 feet of their line.

Also to note, my neighbor has a huge yellow lab, and also has the electric fence, and our dogs will chase each other up and down the yard and never cross the line, people look at them like they're retarded if they dont realize there is a fence in place.

I have quite a few people that are in our Boxer rescue that use this fence with great success, even with the fostered dogs learning quickly.

I installed one as well. Very easy installation. My black lab loved to dig herself out of the backyard under the wooden fence. Once it was installed she tried and it zapped her and she yelped pretty good. Never had to plug-it in since she was zapped. She sees the wire and won't go that close to the fence anymore. It was installed for 12 years before she passed away at 15.

I've heard that it works great on young children, but not so well on teenagers. Like the big dogs, they figure out quickly that if they go through it fast enough, it's one small zap and then they're free to roam. :lol:

IT works and is a good investment if you don't want a regular fence in the yard.

I have one since our dog was a pup and for the last five years my Springer hasn't worn the shock collar just a regular one. We had to get the high-power version that uses a standard nine volt battery instead of the weaker button battery model. He figured out a quick bolt over meant a quick shock but he could get thru. Of course, he would be sitting just outside of shock range waiting to get back in the yard when he was ready to come home. We also found out we had to turn off the beep "pre-shock" signal. He would walk the perimeter with it beeping until the button battery got weak and then walk out. The nine volt solved that problem and delivered enough shock that he only got shocked once bolting thru. Lesson learned and he started respecting the boundary.

We just had to put my Springer down this week after nearly 13 years. He picked up some aggressive form of lung cancer that we figured out in August because he developed a "smoker's hack."

Once we get a new pup, he'll get trained for the fence too.

Latest posts