Is hearing loss going to be a future epidemic?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith McElroy

Reaction score
I keep reading about people putting huge subs/systems in the Sport Trac and wonder if you get ringing in your ears after riding in it. Don't get me wrong, I ran dual 12s in a mustang I used to have, but now, I start to be concerned for my hearing in the future.

A former college roommate, who is now a doctor, told me to test for hearing loss by going into a completely quiet room. If you hear a ringing noise in your ears, it means you have some hearing loss (usually minor). The ringing in your ears is your brain's way of compensating for the frequency range it is lacking.

On another note, the town I grew up in just passed an ordinance that allows the police to impound your car if you are pulled over for loud music - about $250.00 to get it out.

I have no problem with the size of someones amp or subs,their car and money..but it PO's me when they stop in front of my house to pick up someone or they ride by at 5mph...thinking that the whole world wants to hear it, and the glass panes in the house rattle....

On the hearing loss epidemic..I believe there will be one...I worked in an industrial plant for 36 yrs, I have some hearing loss and the ringing in the ears..I dont have to be in a quiet room to hear the ringing...Iam sure the decibal level is much higher inside of some cars...they are not wearing ear plugs as I was....

I used to hook up anything to have the loudest system possible. I remember getting a noise ordinance ticket ($66) when I had a PA system speaker with a 15" woofer hooked up in the trunk of my '64 four door hart top impala. If anyone doesn't know, the trunk on this car is about the size of the Sport Trac's bed. I think the ticket had to be for the trunk rattling instead of the music.

Just ordered a single 8" kicker comp to replace the low that the factory sub was offering. Not looking to have outsiders hearing my system, just a mellow sound.

Partial hearing loss in left ear due to high school pranks of clapping hands over ears. After ringing went away, so did part of my hearing.

Casey

i work around planes the enforce hearing protection heavy. I mean I can be standing 50 feet from a plane taxiing into a spot. I use the small foam plugs, they work great and are comfortable.

as for stereos. I have a single 10 that can get loud but as I get older i like clean quality soundinstead of LOUD BOOMING sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I have hearing loss in my left ear, but I am sure it was from my Mustang. The Pioneer system I had in it rattled the rear vew mirror so bad you couldn't use it unless you held it with your hand. Seemed like the thing to do at the time, but seems kind of stupid now.

Maybe I'm just getting old (at the ripe old age of 34).:p

Huh? What did you say? I saw Led Zepplin and the Who at least 3 times each in the 70's. My hearing is shot.

I'm 45 and my hearing is going. I did in fact listen to my music loud in the 70's and most of the 80's. My hearing seemed to get worse after I got a jetski from the wind roar, but I gotta think it's the cummulative effect of everything. In the house or office it's okay, in a mall or restaurant with a lot of noise around me (it doesn't have to be loud) I can't hear squat even if you're right next to me.

So for cranking the tunes, I don't recommend it on a regular basis.

I was tested for hearing at a physical I had to take for a new job, and they found out I had a hard time hearing in my right ear in a certain frequency range. It turns out it's the same frequency as my wife's voice!

Lol dreman. I listen to my music loud in the ST, at home, pretty much anywhere. When I worked at the golf course last summer, I always wore the little foam ear plugs and they worked great. I can hear ringing in my ears if I listen for it, even in a noisy crowded room, but I can also hear my friend's conversations from across the room at a party when they're talking in normal voices. I hear much better than either of my parents, or anyone else I know for that matter, and I would think that I'd have done the most damage to them. For instance, right now I can hear 2 girls talking about their classes downstairs well over 100ft away (granted there is some echo), but if I stop listening and focus, I can hear the ringing...what's that say about my hearing?

I'm with ya, Johnny!

I'm 46, and I <b>KNOW</b> I've got hearing loss!!! Caused from too many front row seats at concerts like Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult & AC/DC, from blasting music in my rides, and from working industrial jobs. (I ran printing presses for a few years) I had a friend who was a drummer, and while sitting in a club talking one night, I couldn't hear anything he was saying. He had just had HIS hearing checked, and he had a 40% loss. He told me, "I can hear you, but you can't hear me, and <b>I've</b> got 40% hearing loss! You'd better learn to read lips!" So I've got more than a 40% hearing loss... One of these days I'll get in and find out how bad it really is!

hehe, I complained to some one one time and got the response I would rather be deaf then dead from street racing.... ohh well...

Todd Z

This is one time when you young whippersnappers need to listen to us old farts. Seriously. Back in the day we weren't running near the wattage or subs that people are now. Same with Walkmans and iPods. My son is 16 and daughter is 12 and they'd crank it with the phones on loud enough that I could hear it, until they could see that I really meant it when I'd say "Huh? What?"

There was a time where each of our boys (12 and 9) started their replies to my wife and I with: "What?"

It became a habit. Finally my wife and I started saying: "Tell us what you think we just said?", and invariably they would repeat what we had said verbatim.

This soon broke them of that habit.

I did it too as a young adult. One summer working road construction during my college years I worked with a bunch of guys, and whenever someone said: "Huh?", the reply back would be: "Huh Hell! Pay attention!" Seems that guys that work hard for a living don't like having to repeat themselves.

TJR

I'm not worried about hearing loss. My stereo has plenty of potential to take my hearing, but I usually don't listen to it at levels where my ears are ringing when I'm done. Occasionaly I'll find it hard to breathe...but no ringing. I like to hear ALL of my music, not just the bass, so I keep the bass turned down to a level where it doesn't drown out the mids and highs. I normally turn it down at red lights, neighborhoods, or gas stations and the like, although with the windows up, you can barley hear it on the outside, and definatly not loud enough to be bothersome.

The ringing in your ears is called Tinnitus. It can get pretty bad. William Shatner (Denny Crane!) claims to suffer from it so bad that at one time it nearly drove him to suicide. He says he's now learned to manage and deal with it through therapy and counseling.

I have it to a degree. I'm sure a lot of us do, having blasted our music in our younger days, (heck, I still do that!). Also, up until probably about 10-15 years ago, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as hearing protection was not widely used or enforced in industrial environments or the military, so I'm sure that's also contributed to many folks' (including myself) hearing damage/loss.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of it in the future, especiall with a lot of people using iPods and other mp3 players with headphones.

The Ringing and Buzzing of Tinnitus

Ear Rings

By Rod Moser, PA-C, PhD

WebMD Answers to Questions

Tinnitus -- "ringing in the ears" -- affects an estimated 35 million Americans. But tinnitus isn't just a ringing, it can also be heard as a buzzing, roaring, hissing, clicking, high-pitched whining, low-pitched hum, even a heart-like pulsing.

Tinnitus is actually a symptom of some common medical problems, such as:

* ear infection

* wax impaction

* noise exposure (like rock concerts)

* TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders

* even a side effect of medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, caffeine, or birth control pills

Tinnitus may also be a symptom of more serious illnesses such as high blood pressure, anxiety/depression, diabetes, thyroid disorders, Ménière's disease, blood vessel disorders, or tumors.

Two Types

There are two types of tinnitus:

* subjective tinnitus, when the sounds a sufferer hears may be perceived as very loud and only heard by them

* objective tinnitus, a less common condition when the sounds can be heard by the sufferer and a medical provider using a stethoscope

Finding a cause for tinnitus can be simple or require extensive diagnostic tests. In many cases, a cause is never found -- a frustrating fact for many tinnitus sufferers and their medical providers.

If a cause is determined, then treatment can be quite focused. For example, if a tinnitus sufferer is taking aspirin and is found to have high blood pressure, the aspirin is stopped and medications are given to control the blood pressure.

Tinnitus Treatments

Even if a specific cause is never found, there is still hope for successful treatment. A combination of therapies over time usually offer the best hope.

* Biofeedback, relaxation training, counseling, and individualized psychotherapy helps manage stress and helps you change your body's reaction to the tinnitus. Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) combines counseling with special background sounds designed to help people suppress the sounds of their tinnitus.

* Antianxiety medications, such as Valium or Xanax, as well as a wide range of antidepressant medications, are very helpful for tinnitus sufferers. Other medications, such as diuretics (water pills), muscle relaxants, anticonvulsants medications, and antihistamines, are also used.

* Special hearing aids, electronic masking devices, or both, are often used when other methods have failed to achieve control. Cochlear implants and cochlear stimulation devices are being investigated for severe, intractable tinnitus cases. Surgical injections of lidocaine directly into the inner ear are also being used in some cases.

* Alternative treatments such as hypnosis, acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, vitamin/mineral supplements, and herbal remedies may have some promise, but there is little, if any, meaningful research as to their effectiveness. Ginkgo biloba -- which is being studied to determine its effectiveness for tin