Is it to early for synthetic oil in my Fusion?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I have about 4,700 miles on my 06 Fusion 3.0L V6 and I am going to change the oil in it this week. Is it to early to switch to a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil for the first oil change or should I wait until I get more miles on it. I just had the oil changed in the Sport Trac last week at 44,000 miles to a synthetic blend, I asked for full synthetic but the guy doing my oil said that a synthetic blend works best in fords why is that?Anyone know?

Thanks

Andrew

You can change to synthetic oil at anytime on a modern gasoline engine. I always change my cars to synthetic on the first oil change.

The factory fill is a synthetic blend usually a Gp III and Gp II basestock. Ford has been sourcing out of Conoco/Phillips so the probabilities are that it is the same formulation as Motorcraft oil. The factory filter, if grey, is made by Champion. FWIW, the blends will turn in the lowest wear metals. My preference is one with moly which is an anti-wear agent and a great barrier lube. Pennzoil and Havoline have a bunch, about 60% the content of the grossly overpriced Redline. And don't buy into the advertizing hype that a synthetic oil will make the engine last longer- they won't. There is no more lubricity in any OTC synthetic oil over the cheapest dino. The advantages of a synthetic basestocks are better artic temperture pumping rates and holding up better (Gp IV+) for extended oil changes. Pick a brand that you like, use the correct recommended viscosity, look for the API seal of certification, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Another note for you. Most folks are changing oil at around 3500 miles. I have not seen an analysis in years for a 3500 mile service interval that the oil didn't have at least 50%+ life still left. I would suggest changing at 5000 miles regardless of the brand or type of oil used. Othewise you are throwing money away. The new engines are so much more cleaner than the engines of the 90's that the oil does not take the beating that the older, dirty engines dished out to the fluids. The newer clean burning technology is showing more benefits than just better fuel mileage.

The factory fill is a synthetic blend usually a Gp III and Gp II basestock. Ford has been sourcing out of Conoco/Phillips so the probabilities are that it is the same formulation as Motorcraft oil. The factory filter, if grey, is made by Champion. FWIW, the blends will turn in the lowest wear metals. My preference is one with moly which is an anti-wear agent and a great barrier lube. Pennzoil and Havoline have a bunch, about 60% the content of the grossly overpriced Redline. And don't buy into the advertizing hype that a synthetic oil will make the engine last longer- they won't. There is no more lubricity in any OTC synthetic oil over the cheapest dino. The advantages of a synthetic basestocks are better artic temperture pumping rates and holding up better (Gp IV+) for extended oil changes. Pick a brand that you like, use the correct recommended viscosity, look for the API seal of certification, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Another note for you. Most folks are changing oil at around 3500 miles. I have not seen an analysis in years for a 3500 mile service interval that the oil didn't have at least 50%+ life still left. I would suggest changing at 5000 miles regardless of the brand or type of oil used. Othewise you are throwing money away. The new engines are so much more cleaner than the engines of the 90's that the oil does not take the beating that the older, dirty engines dished out to the fluids. The newer clean burning technology is showing more benefits than just better fuel mileage.

I agree with, Trapper L, I do 5k changes with MC blend..the only car I run full syn in is my stang. I have a tendincy to push it hard at times. I change the stang oil at 5k to 7k..

edit; been over 30yrs since I had an engine failure..it wasnt from lack of oil change intervals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder about that first oil change. I'm sure Trapper L is right but on my wife's new RAV4 I still changed it around 3k the first time. Just been doing it for too many years. I would like to see an updated study done.

IF I remember "R" even said to Waite till the second change for most ford engines...

Todd Z