Is It Worth It?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody Reyna

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST with 130,000 miles on it. Is it worth it to do some work to it and keep it, or should I pass it on? I was thinking about: Balljoints, Tie Rod Ends, Coil Springs, Shocks, Leaf Springs, U-Joints, Flush All The Fluids, And A Basic Tune Up.

What should I do?

If it's me I get rid of it before it's worth any less. You can save money on the springs though, there are no coil springs and the rears will be fine unless any leafs are broken.

I'm doing that now, I've got 108,000 on my odometer, and I have no current plans to replace my truck at the moment. I'm in the process of replacing the balljoints, tierod ends, transmission pan, new hoses, belts, brakes, installation of a new powertrax rearend, high flow cat and y-pipe, new fluids, new plugs and wires.

I would keep driving it. You can not loose anything more then what it is worth. Compare that to buying something new.

Tom

TRG, depends on if you are tired of it, too many miles, wear/tear stuff, or just don't like it anymore. I, too have an 01, but I have decided to keep it well after it is paid for(next March), maybe give it to my Grandson or Grandaughter in about 5 years(if it lasts!). I decided to keep it based on the fact that I have put money into it that I may never get back by selling it. Besides, sentimentally it was the very first edition of the ST, and that alone makes it a no brainer for me. I also have a 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer which happens to be the first year of the Explorer line. Things like wear and tear are just stuff that happens with cars (and people), so I will keep it just for those reasons. BTW, I do plan on getting an 07 after March of next year, fully loaded. Maybe it will be without a lot of the probs with the first gen ST's.

That's my 2 cents worth of opinion!

TRG (Tire Rack Guy)...consumer advocates, financial planners, anybody who analyzes the cost of buying and owning a car will tell you that keeping an existing car running for a long time (10 years) is almost always better than buying a new car.

An example helps clarify:

Let's say you bought a new ST for 28,000 in 2001. For the sake of keeping our analysis simple, let's say you paid cash.

Let's speculate that the 2001 ST was worth 50% of it's new price when it is 4 years old. So, at the end of year 4, you've "used" about $14,000 worth of ST, plus whatever you spent on upkeep. That works out to $3500/year+. As the car gets older, it doesn't loose value as fast, so lets say, for the next five years of ownership, the car loses $2000 of it's value each year, until it's basically worthless.

Now you are in the "sweet spot" of deprectiation. The car is not losing value very quickly anymore. Each year you keep it, you use up about $2000 worth of the remaining value of your ST every year from now on.

If you buy a new one for a similar price to what you paid last time, you are back to using about $3500 worth of ST every year. Plus the transaction costs (taxes, higher insurance, any shortfall on your trade in).

In this simple example, if you can keep your current ST running for less than $1500/year out of pocket (the loss of value cost difference between the two vehicles), you come out ahead by keeping the old one.

The intangible costs (your happiness with the vehicle, having a reliable vehicle that you trust, etc.) have to be factored in. If these issues are important to you, you have to look past the raw numbers.

Just keep up on the mantainence and you should be fine. Don't be too surprised if you have to fork out some big bucks for repair bills though; still cheaper then a new car usually. We've got a Ford E-350 with 430,000+ miles on it...it might need a new engine though.

Okay, thanks. It's already paid for as of last Nov. The main thing was the miles, I have never had something that high in miles. I do love my ST though. It's also something to pull my Wave Runner. I might as well keep it. I just wanted to see if it was worth the trouble and money to keep it over buying new.

Thanks.

Tire Rack Guy,

Financially, it is almost always better to fix what you have and keep using it. Even several thousand dollars in repairs is cheaper than buying a new vehicle. You will loose nearly that much or more as soon as you drive your new vehicle off the lot.

Now if you are wanting to avoid paying for any repairs, then buy a new or newer vehicle with a warranty. Just realize that it is a more expensive alternative.

...Rich