Is Our Obsession Over?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
With the current state of affairs in the petro industry and the high probability of it getting worse, is the automotive performance industry a thing of the past?

What do you think?

Jim Jinks

I don't think there's any doubt about it. I think you will see more vehicles tuned for mpg then for performance in the near future. The days of using premium gas to squeeze a few extra hp is over except for the very high end vehicles.

Society is starting to look at people driving big gas guzzlers like they do smokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the HP wars will end once and for all, they died off in the early 70s but came back.

Will be interesting to see if the new camaro for 09 comes out.

Granted todays High HP cars get ok miliage if driven conservetivaly,BUT you use the car as intended and MPG go's in the tank.

I used to track my stang, will not do it anymore getting 7/8 mpg, a weekend at thunderhill would cost me 500 bux.

I flashed the ST back to the 87 tune just to try and save a few bux.

Things will not be getting any better.

On another note, the obsession will never end, the ability to pay for it might.

The obsession wont end. It will end for blue collar workers. This country is headed towards the past. The haves and the have nots. The unions did not kill corporate America. Corporate America got greedy and killed the unions.

Early in the last century blue collar barely surrvived. The haves got richer during the great deppression even. You had the greedy haves and the starving have nots, that had to choose between medical, food or a peice of crap to rent. The unions pulled the nation out of that. The rich still got rich and the blue collar got a piece of the pie. Blue collar will be right back in that within the next decade..Strugling and maybe no car..

1974 Mustang II / 2.3L 4-cylinder automatic HERE WE COME!!!

I had one. I remember the non-performance years. It may have been a dog, but it rusted through the fenders 2 years later.

i dont think the drive for more horses is over persay but i do think it will take a different turn...

im sure the hunt for more horses will always be alive, there will just have to be new ways of achieving them.

Look for smaller turbocharged engines and diesels. All of the automakers have them for sale overseas. We're just going to have to adjust what we expect out of our cars.

I am currently working on a high horsepower, small engine for a toy car.

Gotta love a big turbo on a small engine.

Back to the original question. The obsession will never be over. Cars today have the most HP than ever before. Even in the 60's and early 70's, there were never as many high horsepower cars on the road as there are now.

The number one complaint here is power. Everyone wants more power. Was visiting Summit Racing today. Still just as busy as they always are.

Tom

Yeah there is a reason my two muscle cars are just sitting. Even if I could afford to properly finish them, I couldnt afford to drive them more than once a month. Real good hobby we've all got isnt it.

The obsession for HP will never be over. Granted it may slow somewhat, afterall some HP addons acutally help MPG. Ford is going to the ecoboost engine where a 4 cyl. will run like a 6 and a 6 will run like an 8, in order to keep performance up and help on the MPG. Yes I have decided to slow down some, was going to flash my ST for 93 perf. for the trip to the Louisville meet, but now I think I will install the 87 perf. for the trip up there and install the 87 econ for the trip back just to see if there is much if any difference.

Latest posts