Is this a sensor?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guswah

Reaction score
In checking out my "new" SportTrac, I noticed this thing. Can someone tell me if this is a sensor? And if it is, why isn't there something connected to it?

1638318146338.png

Coolant temperature sensor.
Some have one, some have two. Mine has two. Looks like yours has two on the thermostat housing. Is there another one next to it that is hooked up? If you actually have two then you should be able to find the connector easy enough but it will be a bitch to get it connected.
Maybe someone changed the thermostat housing with the "wrong" one. Not a big deal IMO, as long as it is not leaking, you can just leave it be.

Edit (addition): Don't get me wrong. I would hunt for the plug that connects to it. It is quite possible that someone changed the thermostat housing and couldn't get it reconnected for some odd reason (sure we have all seen stranger stuff). If I couldn't find it then I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Yep, EngineCoolantTempSensor.
For the earlier years, 2 were needed: one for the PreHEC ClusterGage, one for the Computer\PCM.
For 2004 & later, only 1 was used for the Computer\PCM, which sends Temp to the HybridElectronicCluster.

@Guswah
Don't be surprised if that Plastic ThermoStatHousing starts leaking; replace it with an Aluminum version.

Thanks for the tip about the thermostat housing. I'd read about this when I was shopping for a SportTrac.

My ST has about 180K miles, and out of caution, I would agree that it should be changed. The problem is that the only aluminum one I can find (here in Canada) is from China, and I have no idea if those are known to be any more reliable than the old plastic housing that's been in there since the beginning. On the other hand, the original plastic one was probably from the same place. :)

Yep, EngineCoolantTempSensor.
For the earlier years, 2 were needed: one for the PreHEC ClusterGage, one for the Computer\PCM.
For 2004 & later, only 1 was used for the Computer\PCM, which sends Temp to the HybridElectronicCluster.

@Guswah
Don't be surprised if that Plastic ThermoStatHousing starts leaking; replace it with an Aluminum version.

Dillard, do you have another source for the aluminum housing? The first link you posted said that it's no longer available. I don't mind buying it from the US, and granted it will cost me more than I want to spend.

...180K miles, and out of caution, I would agree that it should be changed.
...only aluminum one I can find (here in Canada) is from China
...no idea if those are known to be any more reliable than the old plastic
There are basicly 2 versions of the Aluminum ThermoStatHousing, shown below.
A less expensive 2PieceBody version, made in Asia? & sold by ZabTeck, RockAuto, Amazon, EBay,...
A more expensive 1PieceBody version, made in NorthAmerica? & sold by SimmonsAutoSportz\SAP.
There are multiple owners in this & other forums that have installed either\both versions with success;
personally I've got the 2PieceBody version installed now 2years ~15k Miles without issue.
Each version has minor advantages\disadvantages.
I believe either is a definite improvement in reliability over plastic.
As with any part, final result is also dependent on the installers skill+methods+patience.
Click here for more info.
2001.Ford_Cool.Stat_Hous.0450_GAB.ATK-8592-ACCS.GIF
2001.Ford_Cool.Stat_Hous.0460_SAS.SA4+SA5+SA6+SA7+SA9.GIF

Ha, ha. "Shopping pleasure." That's a term my woman would appreciate much more than I.

Many thanks, Dillard. Those will be great resources for me.

Dillard,,, OUCH..... :-( :-(

Dillard,,, OUCH..... :-( :-(
No offense intended; figured you could speak for yourself.
Zabteck link added above.
Again no offense intended.

Last edited:
now ya guys got me wondering as i have never changed mine or on the previous 5 i have owned,,, i have never had a issue but i do not want one. after 17 years i have never had a leak,

now ya guys got me wondering as i have never changed mine or on the previous 5 i have owned,,, i have never had a issue but i do not want one. after 17 years i have never had a leak,
Youre lucky. To anyone who has had the PPS plastic TStatHousing or plastic HeaterControlValve or plastic HoseTeeAssembly in hand after they have cracked+leaked, and compared to metal replacements, it becomes obvious they are true junk, intended by Ford to last only a limited number of years handling near boiling temperatures. Its the equivalent of home builders using the cheapest plastic plumbing, and unknowing home buyers suffering the consequences.

Last edited:
well i beleive in preventive maintenance, so i am ordering one and changing asap, i bought a serpentine belt and kept in my trac back in 04, still have not used it but in case.

well i beleive in preventive maintenance, so i am ordering one and changing asap, i bought a serpentine belt and kept in my trac back in 04, still have not used it but in case.
Don't forget about the small hose that connects at the bottom. Twenty years of heating and cooling, that thing was stuck on very well. Had to cut it to get the housing removed because there is just no room to wiggle the damn thing off while being careful to not break the stupid plastic tabs and have them drop down into the cooling system.

Last edited:
thanks blert,, any helpfull tips is a plus, i have read over the years about leaks and i have watched for any signs , just got lucky i guess but i have learned that parts are getting harder to find for real trucks and cars.

Dont undetstand the need for those 3 tabs on the bottom flange of the housing; the 3 bolts are more than adequate for attaching+aligning that connection? I had to use needlenose pliers to get a broken plastic tab out of the block, broken at the factory during original assembly.

Last edited:
Dont undetstand the need for those 3 tabs on the bottom flange of the housing; the 3 bolts are more than adequate for attaching+aligning that connection? I had to use needlenose pliers to get a broken plastic tab out of the block, broken at the factory during original assembly.
Can only assume they hold it in place for the move to the next robot arm that installs the bolts.

If installing a new plastic TStatHousing, I'd cut\grind those 3 plastic tabs off before install;
as they likely contribute to a flow restriction,
especially broken off & stuck in the cavity\passageway inside the engine block.

... any helpfull tips is a plus ...
My usual tip for when folks are having a go at the thermostat housing... if you are considering doing the timing chain tensioners, do them at the same time. Makes the front one exponentially easier to get to when the housing is out of the way.

Latest posts