Is this possible?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2004 4x4 ST.

I installed a Zabteck True Cold Air Intake couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions.

But to make something clear, this post is NOT to bash the product or the Zabteck company. I love the product and the service. I just thought I would get more response if I posted on here instead of emailing Todd Z.

1. Yesterday, I went up to the mountains for the first time after installing the intake. And since, I was taking the interstate, I had to keep up with the traffic, about 60-65 mph on a couple of big and steep hills. I have traveled this highway before and know that my ST does exceptionally well compared to other cars. But yesterday, after starting off at the bottom of the hill at about 65 with the RPM's at about 2,400, with me pushing the gas pedal at a constant and same power. The ST just kept losing power. If I gave it more gas, it downshifted and the RPM's jumped to about 3,100. I never had this happen with the stock air intake. So im just wondering did I lose higher speed (above 50mph) power or is it even possible?

2. And since I drive a lot in the city, and getting about 15 mpg, I was wondering what RPM's I try to keep the ST at when taking off from street lights. Because it seems that if I keep up with traffic...the RPM's go to about 2,400. So is this normal? And do these kind of RPM's hurt the MPG or keep it the same? Or give an increase that I havent noticed yet.

Thanks everyone, Im sorry if Im asking stupid questions,

George T.

1. It should increase your horsepower throughout the whole powerband. Is it installed correctly.

2. Yes the more rpm's the more mpg's you lose. Yes it is normal for the sport trac to rev to 2500 rpms to keep up with traffic

Gotta realize when you mod, other things may come into play.

Especially with intakes, clean the Maf, clean the TB, may be really simple.

With a less restricted air intake, more air will be able enter the intake manifold at any given throttle position. The air/fuel ratio should go to the leaner side until the computer adapts the mass air flow reading to injector duration to achieve the desired A/F ratio. The computer should adapt in a reasonably short time.

Also, the higher altitudes tend to make vehicles run richer and are usually compensated correctly by the ECU using the O2 sensor readings. It may be just a learning curve issue.

Actual you will have gained more open throttle power and better throttle response with a less restricted intake system.

Yeah, I think that the computer was still adjusting the higher altitude and the higher speeds. But I think that I should clean the MAF and the TB. Maybe that will help.

I mean, I do feel a lot better throttle response at lower speeds below 50, but after 50 it seems that there wasnt that much throttle response. But thanks guys

Thanks Eric. It seems normal to me too. And I believe everything was installed correctly.

Thanks again,

George T.

If the Air filter is the oiled type. Get some maf cleaner and spray it. Sounds like the wires maybe dirty and causing lean condition.

Did you disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes during or after the install of the CAI? If not, do so ASAP. Along with cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Throttle Body; I would also clean the Idle Air Coltrol Motor. Also, get a SCT XCalibrator II or III if you do not already have one so that the PCM can be tuned for the mods.

Oh crap, i thought disconnecting was optional? Ill do that then and clean when I get a chance. How do I clean the MAF? I didnt see a project on it. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,

George T.

Remove the MAF housing, Get contact cleaner WITHOUT lubricant from radio shack or electrical place and spray in the pic...

Hope this helps..

Also clean the IAC.

Rodger, My CAI is a DRY filter for this very reason.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

I'm wondering if the TPS (Trottle Position Sensor) is out of adjustment? Or perhaps the new TB has upset the Air/Fuel ratio enought that the higher altitude caused the ECU to get confused into thinkin it had to downshift because it thought the trottle was at or near the wide-open position?

You might want to check the Trottle Position Sensor to insure it is properly adjusted for the new TB.

...Rich