It only happened once, but what is it???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Homar

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
This may be one for Todd Z and some of the older members: I parked my 2004 Sport Trac XLT placing the gear selector in Park. Got back, turned the key to start the truck. Nothing. Battery good everything else seemingly functional, but nothing. After sitting dumbfounded for a bit I thought to place the gear select in neutral. Started right up, no problem. So far, this has never repeated. I should also mention the old and worn ignition key switch was replaced about a year ago. Battery is relatively new. Starter seems to work fine. Is there an electrical gear select on the transmission that could be worn. This is a great truck but is is fourteen years old now. Anyone think they know what happened?

I think that there is a switch to allow starting in park. If this happens again and it starts after you jiggle the shift lever, it is probably the switch.

Could be the neutral switch on the trans. May not be functioning in park at times. It will be mounted on the trans where the shift cable drive can funtion it.

It wasn't in park all the way..... Loose nuts on the back of the column, Stretching trans cable, Rotting trans cable bracket or simply user error...

Thank you all...EddieS'04's suggestion that it may be the neutral safety switch on the trans turned out to be the cause...

Latest posts