It's baaaaaack

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
Well, the bumping of my transmission is back - with a vengeance. I have 12,500 miles.

Guess I have to go get the TSB again - third time now.

In a old post, someone mentioned another part that should be replaced. I think it started with an "M".

Like Jack Nicolous once said: "This is startin to irritate me".

Try disconnecting the battery ground for 15 min and drive it, See if it is still there..

Todd Z

Nothing helps except the latest TSB....and in my experience with my 07 V8, it will return in a short time. Even the 08's are arriving from the factory needing the same TSB's according to my dealer.

Steve

I don't get it. I had the TSB done several months ago (last summer?), have 13,000 miles, and no repeat problems.

Any way this could be driving habit/learning related?

Ken, good question. My driving habits are pretty consistent. Because of the gas prices, I have a VERY LIGHT FOOT. When starting off, I try to keep the RPMs under 2,500k, never speed, stop slowly. On rare occasion I drive more aggressively.

I do tow about 5,000 pounds - but that is rare - maybe 4 times since I bought the truck.

Just the other day, while taking off from a light - again, very light foot, when I got to about 20mph, the tranny kicked like it does when I'm slowing to a stop. First time that happened.

Looks like another trip to the dealer.

Todd - I don't want to have to reset all my radio stations!! :lol: May give that a try first.

Thanks to all

Don't bother with the battery reset. The issue with the 6 speed tranny rests with the Ford engineers and they still have not found the fix! This is based on my 9 dealer trips in 14k miles on the 07 V8 that I do not own anymore.... I have ordered an 08 V6.

Steve

JustJimmy,

Keep all documentation of all fixes! Make sure each time you get it fixed you indicate the issue/complaint using the same words.

If Ford can't remedy in three fixes you can (depending on your local state laws) seek remedy under your state's lemon law. I recommend this because Ford may not do anything for you other than continue to try to band-aid the problem everytime it comes up until it is off warranty, at which time you will start to pay the price in real dollars. If this seems to be the likely outcome, then work with a Lemon Law attorney (most work out of their pocket, getting their fees from the manufacturer when/if they win their case) and get some compensation....now.

We had similar problems with a new Merc Mountaineer. We kept it until it was just past warranty then dumped it. But, because we had all the documentation of tranny problems occuring before and after 12k miles (and the first year), Ford settled and gave us $2,500.

You have a vehicle that is causing you significant problems. It is likely that it will continue to do so until it is off warranty. You should be paid "pain and suffering" damages, so to speak, to compensate you for your inconvenience, and diminished value. If you get a settlement consider socking it away for a down payment for a new truck and getting rid of this ST once nearing warranty end.

Send me email off-line if you wish to discuss this.

Good luck.

TJR

Just Jimmy, sorry to read of your trac woes! I'm sure they will get it right, they try to do first things first to see if that resolves the problem ..so now they will probably look at the other options such as Fast Eddie stated... keep the faith! and Good luck to you!

I had both the computer reflash AND new mechatronic assembly changed last spring/summer. Have not had a problem since. Maybe the key is the mechatronic? Sounds like I drive like you JJ - lightfoot/stopping early. I haven't towed anything yet.

My mechatronic was replaced under warranty. I'm not sure if Fast Eddie (or anyone else) had their's replaced. For those who did, please chime in, and let us know if the problems went away or not. I'd insist on them replacing it under warranty (my $.02).

Regarding lemon law -- definitely an option, but beware. I went thru the initial process last summer on this + other issues with my Trac. Not sure about where you live Just Jimmy (FL?), but in Calif., I would've had to eat a "user fee" of around $2K, based on the miles I had accumulated before the problem(s) were first documented, per the lemon lawyer. This $2K would be deducted from the cash settlement, or applied to a replacement. For me, this was total BS.

Keep us informed on your progress . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I had TSB 07-23-2. (twice) Is there a newer one? If so, How would I get the number?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the service guy at my dealer just ran the TSB software upgrade but didn't follow the last step #5 a through h. It bumped the next day after the last TSB was installed and when I asked them about, they said the TSB may take a few days of driving before it fixes itself. The actual TSB also states that as well.

Let's try it again.

Thank you all for your comments.