Jeff C - Sirius Satellite Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
I have same set up and deck as you, got my sirius going (love it), but then after day one Im stuck on aquiring signal now... I talked to sirius and they said is either the tuner or the antenna. Seeings how you hav ethe same set up I was wondering if you had any ideas of what I could try and do to get it going again.

I don't really know. I have an extra tuner I can send you if you want. If it was working before, then there's no reason it should have stopped working. Can you have them resend the subscription signal?

I had to replace my antenna already b\c all of a sudden I couldn't pick up a signal at all. Tested the antenna with a coworkers and found that to be the problem. Picked up a new monster antenna off of amazon.com no problems since. HTH

i have trouble shooted a few of the same systems to find out people with your symptoms have bad antenna's swap the antenna and you should be good to go. no howard stern for you???? you must be upset :(

I know... i only got to listen to him for one day... damn... i hope its not the antenna... i can never find somewhere locally that has them so I ordered mine from ebay....

i get that sometimes with mine. i usually just have to remove the antenna and replug it into the head unit and its all good. if you have to replace the antenna, try going the monster cable route to see if it's a better quality.

I had to put a relay in line with the antenna to stop the static and it works great you can pick one up online or at circuit city

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man... Just sell that MASSIVE unit and get a XM unit... and listen to some realy radio... O&A! haha

Just a heads up... If Sirus or XM resends the Activation Signal it only last for 10 minutes and if your radio does not pick it up you need to have it re-sent.

On your Sirus unit what kind of Signal Strength do you have currently with this setup? Does it pick up Channel 1 which is the standard channel that is open to every radio for setup?

If you get this channel it means it recieving fine from the SAT... You just need to have the Activation resent... Make sure the radio is on when you call to have it resent and on the proper channel... and leave the radio on for 30 minutes.... Not sure if Sirus has the option for you to do it from there website... I know you can do it from XM's website when you login to check your account and billing!

Cheers

Whit

Siriusly, you need to make sure that you have a clear view of the southern sky with satellite radio. If there is an obstruction, especially in Canada, you may lose signal. Of course, if you are too far north, the satellite will be over the horizon and you won't ever get a signal.

Nelson,

What are you talking about? The XM antenna's are Non-Directional Antenna's they don't have to be pointed any specific way... Just need a clear view of the sky..

As for being in Canada... I disagree... I have had my XM for almost 3 years now and never had any signal issues in Toronto. I have noticed that in the Downtown core there are more repeaters now and I don't lose the signal anymore when driving down thru all the Buildings and Under the Bridges like the Gardner Expressway in Toronto.

With XM and Sirus now in Canada the signal issues are not near as bad like it was 2 years ago...

Best of luck... But try the refresh and make sure you have the unit on before you have the refresh started and that you have full signal strength on the demo channel!

Cheers

Whit

I mean that to get a good signal, the southern sky should be as unobstructed as possible. Satellites use microwaves to transmit their signals and they are almost purely line-of-site. It doesn't matter if you have an omnidirectional antenna, if there is a mountain or large building to your immediate south, it may block the satellite signal. If you are in a city with earth repeaters, then this isn't an issue.

Think of this example. The moon is a satellite. Our eyes can be turned any direction, so essentially they are an omnidirectional antenna/receiver. If the moon is below the horizon or is obstructed from view by a building or mountain, then our eyes don't receive the signal (reflected light) from the moon.

[Broken External Image]:

XM Coverage Map

figured it out, works great. Thanks for the help. I had xm before, sirius is better in my opinion. betted suited channels for my tastes

Ok, well when it shows up, just throw it out. Not worth it to ship it back. Or you can keep it if you want; whatever...

The satellite uplink is about 5 miles from my house in the town I grew up in. You would think I could get better reception :wacko:

Latest posts