Jiffy Lube rip-off?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S 2

Reaction score
So I think I got ripped off. I went to get my oil changed yesturday to Jiffy Lube. I got synthetic ofcourse, and oil filter changed (duh). I specifically said no additives. I went to pay and he said "That'll be $79.99". I was in shock. Isant that a little expensive. On the bill it says 5.5qts at $3.19 (or so) per qt.........Any comments or suggestions on what I can/should do? Thanks

I know that synthetic oil is more expensive but that souds a little steep. No offense, but I think your first mistake was going to Jiffy Lube in the first place. They suck. I won't go there ever.

5.5 qts is too much oil, BUT if they run the user input levels, then the guy does not know the St is 5 Qts.

I believe JL's syn oil change signature service is that high.... The are supposed to check and top off all fluids for that price, vac the interior and check tire pressure...

They charge for all that stuff....

Todd Z

So basically they gave me the premium bundle package instead of just want I wanted....thats making sense. Thanks Todd.

Jiffy Lube has had alot of bad press .... mostly deserved. Why they want to take advantage of their customers and lose a faithfull customer is beyond me. They told me that I needed to flush the front/rear differential and the transfer case at 23,000 miles. They said that it was recommended by Ford. They also said my transmission was due for an oil flush too. All this with a straight face. I got the oil and filter changed (for $35) and will never give them my business again. How many innocent customers are they fleecing? :blink:

Did they strip the threads on your drain plug?

Did they put Type F fluid in your transmission?

Usually these services are included for every vehicle for free.

If you buy Mobil1 Synthetic oil, it runs about 5 bucks a quart. The 4.0 should take 5 qurats, while the 4.6 requires 6 quarts. Maybe they filled the crankcase with 5 quarts, and then also filled the filter before putting it on?? Either way 5.5 is too much. Check the level on the dipstick... If it is not too far over the fill line you are probably ok, but if there looks to be an excessive amount, some of it needs to be drained. The easiest way to do this would be to let the ST cool down and drop the oil filter, drain it and put it back on. That will remove almost a half of a quart...

It sounds like you got some kind of deluxe oil change where the check all your fluids and top them up including winshield washer fluids, etc. They also check your tire pressure, clean your windows and generally charge you an extra $20 for the full Monte.

I get my oil changed a Kwik-Kar Lube and I only pay $35 for Mobil-1 synthetic. That's just the basic oil change and new filter. If I get the Full Service oil change it's about $55.

Most Lube centers charge more for the synthetic oil...even more than you paid, however $79+ is way too much, even for a Full Service oil change. Yep It's a rip-off.

...Rich

Sounds right in line with what my local jiffy lube charges for the synthetic oil change. Their signage is very clear that the "base" service charge is 24.99 and if you want synthetic or any other oil that isn't in bulk, you have to pay an additional charge . Pricey.....yes; The reason I gave up synthetic. Change it every 3k anyway; wish I still had the time to do it myself!

Let's see... I paid $22.00 for a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 5w-30 and $5 for a Motorcraft FL1-A filter, and did my own oil change. Heck I gripe about paying $27 for a synthetic oil change. :)