Job 2 to Job 1 4.0 swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Downey

Reaction score
My 02 sport trac's motor blew. I'm looking for a replacement motor and can only find the 4.0 SOHC 00 motors which I believe are referred to as Job 1 motors. If I buy a job 1 motor, what replacement parts would I have to buy, and which can be used from the existing truck. I planned putting my intake on the Job1 and maybe even the valve covers for continuity, but as far as the wiring harness, fuel rail, etc, what kinda trouble am I getting myself into? I heard they're the same block, so it should pretty much be plug and play, no?

Anyway thanks for any knowledge/insight. It's very much appreciated.

I don't know the specifics, but I think you better buy the entire donor truck, as you may need lots of parts. in addition to the wiring harness, accessories, I would think you would need the ECU from the donor vehicle too.

Best to keep looking and find a similar year/model engine.

Would be a great time to put in a 4.9 liter V-8! (for you purists, it is NOT a 5.0, as the Ford engine they call 5.0 rounds to a 4.9. Chevy's motor is an actual 5.0! Sorry, but the truth is the truth!!!)

All you need is to strip the job1 motor down to the long block block, heads, water pump, and oil pan. Then use all your externals........

I would install a new oil pump, and tensonors.

Eddie, it really is that simple? I thought so because when I pulled mine and stripped it down I didn't see that many sensors on the block. That's why I figured I'd strip the job 1 down to the same thing and just replace. But I'm ignorant with this so, I had to ask.

Latest posts