joycie

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh, i know people who have used the jiffy lube junk filters for over 200K...

I allways use a FRAM or the OEM filter...

Todd Z

Here is a study someone did on oil filters. I've used Fram for years as well. I found a Motorcraft last time instead.

There's lots of sites with info about oil filters. About the only thing they all have in common is: don't use Fram filters. One site recommends the cheap WalMart Super Tech brand. It's made by Champion Laboratories which makes all the high-end filters. It's a steal at $1.99.

I have an '89 GMC Jimmy S-15, bought new, and other than warranty, never used

anything other than Fram and Pennzoil 10w 30 or 40w. Got 210,690 miles on

her now, and I'd hop in and drive to L.A. (from Nashville). Of course, being a

mechanic, most all scheduled maintenance has been performed. I have heard

some bad reviews on Fram the last year or two, and even the Pennziol oil.

Here are my theories:

~Perform Scheduled Maintenance;

~Use a name-brand oil and filter;

~Don't "Drive It Like You Stole It!"

All oil and filter companies are required to meet minimum motor vehicle manufactures

requirements for oil-viscosity breakdown, minimum particle-filtration requirements

blah, blah, blah, etc...

As far as Factory (Motorcraft/Delco) filters, they are all good, from everything I

have read, and even if you are out of warranty, especially that 38,573.5 mile

thing the dealer may give you if you ever do have an oil or filter related engine

failure, (sorry, your warranty ran out 2,573.5 miles ago!!!) you may have a better

chance at litigation if you can prove that you used a factory-recommended oil and

filter. Another good filter that I or my mechanic friends have had good luck with,

is Purolator,. They use them a lot in fleet service where they want their vehicles

to have as much up-time as possible, and an engine-related breakdown on the

road could be costly in many ways.

Latest posts