Jumping out of park on incline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
08 ST V6 4x4 197000 miles
I stopped at the incline at the end of my driveway this morning to move some things. Put it in park and noticed the truck rolling back. I put it in park again and it stayed put. I tried a couple of times and noticed that when the truck did roll back the tires kind of chattered and the shifter rocked back and forth. I purposefully parked in a spot today with a bit of an angle and noticed the same thing when I put it in park it would roll back a bit until the shifter would move into position, catch and lock in place.
Everything seems to shift fine, no slipping, not missing any gears or anything like that.

Last edited:
08 ST V6 4x4 197000 miles
I stopped at the incline at the end of my driveway this morning to move some things. Put it in park and noticed the truck rolling back. I put it in park again and it stayed put. I tried a couple of times and noticed that when the truck did roll back the tires kind of chattered and the shifter rocked back and forth. I purposefully parked in a spot today with a bit of an angle and noticed the same thing when I put it in park it would roll back a bit until the shifter would move into position, catch and lock in place.
Everything seems to shift fine, no slipping, not missing any gears or anything like that.
DILLARD000 is probably correct, but you should always apply the parking brake, especially on an incline. Maybe that's what caused the problem in the first place.

There is a screw under the dash that loosens up over time. Mine done the same thing and a mechanic told me about it. He tightened it up and it’s like new. there are videos on YouTube that shows how to fix it.

There is a screw under the dash that loosens up over time. Mine done the same thing and a mechanic told me about it. He tightened it up and it’s like new. there are videos on YouTube that shows how to fix it.
Yeah. Mine loosened all the way and fell on the floor. It was quite a challenge figuring out where it came from, then putting it back in.

Picture of the mentioned screw and it's location??

Latest posts