Just finished my speaker box and got PICS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
I used 1/2" mdf after making a cardboard cut out for a pattern. I layed it out so you and I can see what kind of depth I will have. The speakers will have the be mounted on the inside cause the box goes right up against the back of the seat. I am going to use 2 Sony 6x9"s and a 8" radiator (that is a speaker that has no magnet. Just a cone to push and pull air when the other speakers hit). I had a set up like this when I was a teenager years ago and it hit hard and sounded good. I hope you like it. I cant wait to get this hooked up! Pics might be big.[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pictures are too big to understand what I am looking at.

Here is a free program for you if you want it. Once you install it, simply right click on the picture you want to re-size, choose "resize picture". Then you can choose whatever size you want.

The medium (600x800) works very well on this forum.

Sorry about the size. I have changed all my door speakers and the head unit. I am just wanting to ad more sound and this set up will hit hard. I can always go with some 8"s later if I change my mind.

Just Cause im that nice of a guy.....

0f188ecc3fd6de78069e272509d5cbde.jpg

82b90dc257628839dfedbea4773c09df.jpg

de6a7c7d9bae549a249d693e942be323.jpg

80ea7ca1bb1961bc0b881880942282d7.jpg

Wonderful looking box. I can appreciate building something with so many angles and getting it to all fit together. But--I have to agree with the above post: Why 6x9's?? What a waste of the good box. You would be better off using the airspace for a single 10 or 12, or some 8's. Is it a single chamber box?? Ypu should calculate your airspace and get a sub to match. A matched airspace sub will make the most difference. The 6x9's will loose thier sound in the rear seat. Where the bass will come through (omnidirectional) the mids/highs from the 6x9's will simply be absorbed into the back of the seat. Amplifiy your door speakers and you will get a better sounding system....

lol yeah i couldnt see even on my 55' monitor. but id agree with the y factor of adding 6x9s. but hey, the box looks nice and hope ya enjoy it.

Thanks Tony. My wife was working on her saltwater tank and couldn't help much. She is the computer tech. I know that everyone is saying use the 8" subs and I understand that the 8 is a woofer but I can get better sound with the 6/9"s. I always drive with the seat down. Thanks for all the comments and the help on the speaker sugestions. The 6/9"s have more serface than an 8 and the frequency range is better plus I have the highs and mid range too. There is the 8' radiator that is going to pound hard!

I think you've been sniffing too much wood glue...

If you've got upgraded door speakers, why in the world are you wasting power and energy (from an amp, I'm assuming) on adding MORE highs and mids? The soundstage should be in the front, not in the back. You don't listen to the sound system from the back. Your sound will be really out of whack and sound like everything is coming from behind you, not surrounding you as it should. I'm sorry, but an 8" 'radiator sub' will NOT "hit hard". Will it make noise? Of course, its a cone moving air, but being unpowered, it won't make clear sound. I'd expect a lot of muddy tones paired with a fair amount of whoosing. I've heard set-ups like this before, and they simply do not sound nearly as good as an even half-properly set-up sound system.

You've obviously got enough talent to build a proper sub box (just space those screws closer together for a sub box), so why not go that route? If money is a concern, you should simply wait a bit until you can afford to do it right. Just how I see it.

The craftsmanship looks great,

I do agree though IF you wand hard hitting base I think the 6X9 is not the way to go....

If you want more high and mids then yes, But that will not sound right....

Todd Z

I do not mean to offend anyone here but I do know and understand how this system will sound with my cross over, amp., and eq. I don't listen to rap and deep base all the time. I want a full cab of music that I listen too and not the people beside me. When I was a teenager I didn't care but now it is all about what I want. I would be more than glad to build someone a box and they can do what they want with it. When I have time and the money is right. I have $10 in the box. The time and beer is expensive! Happy ST'n!