Just in case you're wondering what happened (warranty work)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey B

Reaction score
I did take my ST in to the dealer with the 4 issues I described before; 2-3 flare, steering shudder, vibration, and timing chain rattle. I got called back the next day and the service rep explained that they recognized the timing chain rattle and I need to schedule an appointment because the engine guy is busy. At least they recognized it, the previous dealer tried to sell me a fuel system cleaning claiming it was pinging in the engine.

Anyway, he stated that they could not reproduce the other 3 issues. I asked to have a tech ride with me. While driving on the expressway I was talking to the guy and when I got to the speed where the vibration occured I asked, "do you feel that?" He said yes and mentioned that it was a minor issue. I stated that a vibration from the vehicle is not minor no matter what. When we got back to the dealer I parked the vehicle and sat there discussing. While we were talking I cut the wheel back and forth. I said, "do you notice that?" He acknowledged the shudder and I started to back up and cut the wheel. It shuddered while moving and it was acknowledged.

OK, two outta three other issues acknowledged. The tranny 2-3 flare happens when it's cooler temps. That day it happened to be in the upper 70's and it wouldn't do it to save my life. Since I've had it back, this week, the temp has dropped and the shifting problems are very apparent. Any suggestions on how to prove this to them? I stated that the problem is there and I would not have mentioned it otherwise, especially since I just had the tranny flushed by ford. The tranny guy says that he hasn't heard of any problems with the 5r55e. I stated that there's been numerous problem and I'm having the symptoms.

I ask, "what would you do if it was your vehicle with problems?" Silence, no answer. Maybe it's a conflict of interest thing. I have to make an appointment for the timing chain rattle and they said they will "look" at the other issues again. Any more suggestions?

C

p.s. check out my new travel business website with very competitive travel pricing and much more. Feedback welcome.

C, I am familiar with the tranny flare (and I have an 04). There is a solution that may very well solve this particular issue with our trannies. Oh alright, it ivolves adjusting the EPC valve. Just do a search on the word 'EPC' under 'all posts' and you'll have a gaggle of info regarding this.

C, as stated before the mech's today are just rediculous. Sorry to hear your plight but that is how 90% of the dealerships are. They don't want to admit a problem when they already said "failed to duplicate".;)

My thing is I'm still under warranty and they shoud fix it. I have 35k left on my warranty so a cold day will come. I thought about the epc adjustment but I'm under warranty. I'm seriously wanting to trade something for an xcal2. I'm still under warranty. Like I told the tranny guy, the labor and parts are already paid for what's the deal.

I just had my tranny fixed, 10-20-06, for the 2-3 flare and it did it again as I left the lot. Ford looked at it again the next day and they said nothing showed up. I am going to bring it back as it did it again last night. My warranty runs out in Jan of 07.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2-3 shift flare is one of the biggest, and well known problems with the 5R55R transmission. It existed in the earlier 4 speed version of the same transmission and to help resolve the problem they added an additional sensor to check that those specific gears are turning at the correct speed. Unfortunately, that has not resolve the problem since the tranny still slips and the O/D light does not blink until the transmission is so badly damaged that it requires a complete rebuild.

You may want to take your vehcile back to the dealer and ask them to park it overnight, and you will be back in the morning to take a tech on a roadtest while the vehicles is cold and when the 2-3 flare is most prominent.

Also, be sure they write it up on your workorder as proof that you experienced the problem and they did nothing about it.

...Rich

Latest posts