just removed the airbox silencer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ Tatum

Reaction score
I just removed my airbox silencer. It sounds a little louder, but i want more. My flowmasters are in the mail so i know that will do it. By replacing the air filter with a K&N, will that sound better too? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you will be able to hear the intake sucking air if you got the k&n gen. 2 fipk....I like the sound. Raserx

A replacement intake system is cheep enough, The quietness comes from the rubber hose and the square box, Unless you eliminate the filter housing at bare minimum, you will not notice it any louder..

Todd Z

yea i just did it too, didn't notice it much louder. of course it might be the flowmaster 40's drowning out the sound. i plan on getting the K&N full intake system soon..

tater',

Check out this thread.

I may have posted the incorrect one last night, as our tracs are closer to the 4.8

than the 5.7/8.3 litre V-8 Chevys (airbox configuration, etc...).

I have done this mod on all of the Chevys that I have owned, (that I could do this

to, anyway!).

The only thing else that I have to suggest, is do not cut out the back of the

airbox, closest to the engine, as this site shows. That is only going to pull in

more hot air from the engine compartment. Do the front cut-out only, silencer

removal, and the K@N Filter upgrade. You WILL notice an improvement in off-

throttle response, all the way to full-throttle accelleration.

It is not going to give you 50+ horsepower, but I do think you will feel a difference!

And I like the fact that it will give you that "Old School 4-Barrel Roar" without

any of the whistling or whining sound that some people are worried about!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
"They call me.......Tater Salad......"

Ron White is hilarious. I'm assuming that's how you got your name eh tatersalad?

Anyway, about the airbox...get the K&N FIPK or the equivalent, you'll see a difference. Anything you can do to make your engine breathe better is going to help make more power. Think of your engine as a big ol' air pump. Sometime this week, or next weekend I'm going to be designing my own little RAM AIR system. It may not be pretty, but it's going to allow some SERIOUS air to get to my supercharger. Currently, it sounds something like a vacuum cleaner when it's trying to suck air in through the intake kit. Well, at least the air suction part...it doesn't sound like a vacuum-cleaner motor. You get the idea though.