K&S AIR FILTER

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
replaced my fram air filter with the k&s filter. installed the gasket per instruction. doesn't seem to be helping much. i have heard so much about these and for $60.00 they should help gas mileage and HP some. are there any tricks to this. maybe it takes time. just installed autolite double plats, throttle body cleaning and injector cleaning and was getting 18.6 per gallon around town and some highway, up from 15.8. please give me some ideas. thanks, oc

You won't see any MPG or performance increase by getting this filter. You need the Cool Air Intake kit. All the filter does is allow you to clean and re-oil, instead of having to buy a new one every time.

It sounds like you have installed the K&N drop in filter that is a direct replacement for the factory flat paper filter.

You will not notice any major improvements. Removing the air box silencer will improve air flow into the bottom of the box, but not so much that you will see any performance gains.

The more noticable changes come from replacing the stock flat filter and air box with an open cone style filter. That removes all the air box restrictions.

Finally, you will not see any noticable MPG improvments. The K&N filter only improves the intake air flow at higher RPM which improves the HP but is where the MPG is the worst.

The only time you will see an improvement in MPG after switching to a K&N filter is if your old paper filter was clogged and needed to be changed anyway. A clean paper filter can easily pass enough air to allow the engine to operate just fine under normal conditions where you do not exeed 3000-4000 RPM.

A dirty clogged air filter will hurt your MPG very noticably but it happens very slowly and is hardly ever noticed. Then when you change the dirty filter to a free breathing K&N filter you will see a noticable improvement in MPG. If your old filter was not clogged, you won't notice much if any difference.

...Rich

oc, there are alot of aftermarket open cone systems out there. I got mine off e-bay for like $45. It works great even after using it for 2 years. It's not a K&N or Airraid system but you clean it just the same as the other two. I did notice a improvement with mine and you can try selling the drop in on there to make up some difference.;)