Keyless entry, '05 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guswah

Reaction score
My Sport Trac came with everything -- like a single, worn-down ignition key and no code for the keyless entry. As a complete novice, I'm wondering if members here might suggest an economical way to solve my problem. Is there a way to get the factory code? What about a duplicate key fob? I'm pretty sure that my Ford dealership would bend over backwards to plunder my wallet if I took this request to them.

Not sure about '05... on my 01j2, you remove the passenger side airbag and, taking a flashlight with you, crawl up inside that little opening and find the factory code on the PCM label.

Not sure about '05... on my 01j2, you remove the passenger side airbag and, taking a flashlight with you, crawl up inside that little opening and find the factory code on the PCM label.

Might have to give that a whirl. Yikes.

About the key... if you only have one then it can be expensive to get a second ($100-150 from the mobile locksmith in my area). If you have two you can make as many as you like on your own.
It is also possible, if you have only one key, to make a second one using the proper scan-tool.

I'm on the smaller size. If you say it's easy, then I should be okay. Gotta hit YouTube for this (removing the airbag).

About the key... if you only have one then it can be expensive to get a second ($100-150 from the mobile locksmith in my area). If you have two you can make as many as you like on your own.
It is also possible, if you have only one key, to make a second one using the proper scan-tool.

Actually I also have a "valet" key. But the guy I bought the vehicle from says it only opens doors. It doesn't start the car. Thus I'm still a one-key owner.

I was joking... you don't actually have to crawl up in there. ;)

At least the valet key will let you get a good cut on a new key instead of cutting from the worn out one.

You can remove the wiper cowling and use a flashlight and look in there too and find it on 2001 job 2 and up.

I wish people would just leave the number card in the owners manual.... I guess theft was a concern...

You can remove the wiper cowling and use a flashlight and look in there too and find it on 2001 job 2 and up.
This I did not know. Would be safer than mucking with the airbag, though that is not that dangerous. Is there a possibility of damaging a seal and causing a leak if done this way?

Last edited:
My Sport Trac came with everything -- like a single, worn-down ignition key and no code for the keyless entry. As a complete novice, I'm wondering if members here might suggest an economical way to solve my problem. Is there a way to get the factory code? What about a duplicate key fob? I'm pretty sure that my Ford dealership would bend over backwards to plunder my wallet if I took this request to them.
This worked for me on my 2004. You will need a bright flashlight.

swshawaii posted this back in 2019 and it helped me on one.

Well, I finally got around to removing the glove compartment to see the elusive factory number. Here are the labels I found:
1639868318498.png

Well, no cigar there.

Further inside on the left I found this:

1639868475930.png

If those bits of paper that have been torn out might yield the factory number I'm looking for, then I'll go back and try to fish them out. If on the other hand someone tells me that the number is on the first (and very unreadable) label, then I'll have to move on.

that does not look like the sticker your looking for,, look at the pics from post above.

Latest posts