Killing my Alt?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
Hello all. I had an alternator go out on my 04 back in Feb of this year, in which I replaced with a re-manufactured alt. Truck currently has 115k miles on it. Well, just last night on the way home from work, my battery light came on, on the dash. Got home, charged the battery and the light never went off. So I was betting on the alt. I replaced it of course with another re-man, and the light went out.

Any others having any problems with the alternator? Is this a common issue. Its starting to be with me.

Edit: Also had the battery replaced in Feb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the battery checked. Also have the system checked for heavy parasitic drain. Might be blowing the diodes in the voltage regulator.

A heavy drag or short can blow diodes. Aslo major loose connections.

Where can you get something like that checked or how can it be checked at home? Like is there a tool that can be used.

You may have to find an auto electic center that specializes. If you lived near me I could take you to one.

What brand is the reman alternator that you are getting?? Sometimes you get what you pay for and if it's one of those lifetime warranty alternators from whatever your parts store of choice is then I bet that is your problem. I wouldn't really worry about a drain on the system, if that were the case the battery would be going dead and not turning the charge light.

Just got a limited lifetime warranty battery from PepBoys. It was $129 and a $42 core charge. Where should I get my next alternator at and what brand or whatever?

Latest posts