l1tech & other Ford techs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve McKellop

Reaction score
Scot and any other tech, what's your take on this problem? On an SRS deployment on a 2005 Trac does the whole system not deploy if triggered? Would the dah bags and pretensioners deploy and not the side curtains? Conversely, side curtains and no other components????

:sad:

From another site:

For Sport Trac Owners:

On my 2005 Sport Trac the side curtain air bags deployed while driving approximately 35mph. The feeling is almost the same as being in a collision....in fact my passenger and I both thought the truck had been hit by something. However there was no collision and no damage to the vehicle other than that caused by the air bag deployment.

The vehicle was taken to a local Ford dealership. The air bag system computer had sensed a collision. The dealer spent several days troubleshooting and could not determine the cause. They coordinated with Ford technical services and concluded changing most of the sensors/electronics would be required. The cost of this repair would be approximately $4600.# This damage is not covered by insurance either. If there was a collision they will cover it, comprehensive coverage does not cover this.

Ford Customer Relations was contacted and they will not accept any liability for this safety defect. If the air bags inadvertently deploy, causing a collision, damage to the vehicle, and injuries/death to occupants, the inadvertent deployment will most likely never be noted. On scene police would logically assume the air bags operated as they should have and deployed due to the collision.

In my case there was no collision and no damage. Ford Customer Relations showed little interest in the safety issue involved here. They suggested a pothole could have been the cause, or my base plate (installed for towing the Sport Trac) was a modification the the vehicle that also could be a cause. However since a definite cause cannot be found they refuse to accept any liability.

Inadvertent air bag deployment should not occur. There are Failure Modes and Effects Analysis that are done to design around this type of# failure. If critical/safety failures occur once a system is installed in many vehicles there should be a process to initiate an engineering investigation to identify the cause of the failure and provide a fix (via recall). The lack of concern by Ford is frustrating, they know there have been failures of this kind on many vehicles, Ford, Honda, etc.

A Incident report has been filed with NHTSA.

This is certainly an unusual occurance and is hard to really give an opinion on without being able to put eyeballs on the vehicle but I'll give a few thoughts.

As far as airbag deployment goes, if the system is triggered not all airbags will deploy, it depends on where the point of impact occurs that determines which airbags deploy but I think no matter which airbags deploy that the pretensioners should fire off at that point but I'm not 100% on this.

There are 4 sensors total for the curtain airbags, 2 on either side of the vehicle, that are used to detect side collision or vehicle rollover and are located in the lower portion of the B pillar and the upper portion of the C pillar. It would have had to been one of these sensors or the control module itself that malfunctioned and caused the deployment. I do not believe a base plate installed for towing the vehicle could be the culprit as it would have been attached to the front of the vehicle away from the side impact sensors. With that in mind it sounds like the ST may be towed behind a motorhome, I would be very curious as to how they have it wired to control the brake lights and turn signals. I would also like to know the weather conditions and whether the vehicle was loaded or not.

Another point of interest here would be to have the tool that gets into the airbag module and reads the memory of the module when airbag deployment occured. A dealership will not have this as you have to have a license to posess one of these. A shop I used to work at the owner did accident investigation for court cases and we had such a tool. It should be able to tell which sensor initiated the airbag deployment along with all of the other conditions excluding weather.

This site link is complaint full of tracs and other fords doing the same thing. Free to register. They keep you up to date on complaints,recalls and other info, by email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend had a Mercedes Benz do this..... Car was 2 years old... Was making a turn and POOF !!!!

Sucks

Todd Z

Latest posts