l1tech question 05 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your next step is to check and see if you have injector pulse. Unplug one of the injectors and take a test light that is hooked to battery ground and have someone crank the engine and find the positive wire, should be a violet wire with a yellow tracer. Now hook the test light to the battery positive post and probe the other side of the injector connector while someone cranks the engine, the test light should blink, this indicates that the computer is trying to fire the injector.

DID THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURN OFF WHEN THE ENGINE WAS TURNED OVER?

IS THE ANTI THEFT LIGHT ON SOLID OR DOES IT BLINK WHILE TRYING TO START THE ENGINE OR IS IT OFF?

Last edited by a moderator:
CEL goes off a second after start cranking,

Anti theft light goes off.

Plug was damp when I took it out and strong gas smell(I had cranked the engine seveal times)

Wouldn't the starting fluid start the engine briefly even thought the injectors are not firing?

What does the flashing "Check Guages" indicate?

My email :p[email protected].

I noticed you rede Fourwheelers, I have raced dirt bikes(mostly KTMs in GNCC, SERA, and SETRA) for the past 22 years, missed race this weekend because my hauler(ST) was down.

PL

So by the cel going off after you start cranking means that he pcm is receiving a crankshaft speed signal which is good. The anti theft light not being on means that the PATS sytem is not at fault. Just because you sprayed something in the intake doesn't mean it will start, I have seen alot of vehicles that won't fire this way. Check for injector pulse, if you have injector pulse then i can't do anything more for you from here and realistically you may be looking at a timing issue being that you have fuel, and spark but before I went down that road I would get the pcm checked for codes, also I may try to throw in a new set of plugs and see what happens, perhaps the ones in there are fuel fouled. The check gauges thing I wouldn't be too concerned about unless the vehicle were running and then its only there to make you look at the gauges for anything unusual such as overheating or low oil pressure.

I have a Honda TRX 450R that I have spent way too much money on. I haven't raced but I call myself a professional practicer as I am at the MX tracks here when I get the chance but it's getting hard to do as there is only 1 mx track around here that still allows quads and I refuse to buy a bike. There is a local series here that I wouldn't mind racing but it is during the hottest months here and I don't play well when it's 110 outside. The whole offroad thing in AZ is starting to get sketchy but I'm gonna keep riding as long as I can. I also do about 10 trips to Glamis during the cool months...love the dunes adn my old ass can ride all day long out there and still be able to walk the next day so that's alwasy a plus

A couple years back I bought a 04 CRF45X that was not running, owner said the only way he could get to start was to pull it off with a fourwheeler. I changed oils plug, ail filter and shimed the valves. Cranked it forever but would not start, so I started over and checked all my work, everything was good except I had mis-shimmed the exhaust(tight). Reshimed to spec and it started right up. I dont see that being the problem here but just saying, there is alway a soultion, just got to be alert and patient. Experience is a great thing to share on these boards. I use KTMTALK and CRF ONLY for trouble shooting and help, there is always someone out there smarter, wiser, and prettier. Thanks for the dialog if you have an appitime (new idea) shoot me an email at [email protected], or [email protected]

PL

Been down, IT Said MALWARE.

L1 is correct , new plugs did the trick.

I bought the ST Service and Diagnostic soft manuals, and I gonna try to create a link so that all board members can access.

PL

:supercool:"may try to throw in a new set of plugs and see what happens, perhaps the ones in there are fuel fouled" -l1tech

wow! Nice! I'm very jealous of your technical knowledge. +not even seeing the vehicle-Geeez :banana:v :driving:

There is allways someone out there that is smarter/wiser/more knowledgable, but the true "gift" is the willingness to share that wisdom/knowledge.