Laptop and GPS?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
Has anyone used earthmate? This turns your laptop into a map and gps. My brother has it and loves it. Just wanted to see if anyone else is using it and your opinion. thanks.

Hmmm, something else I need to get now, lol. I used to have a Garmin GPS when I was using it out of my friend's wrecked car, but when he got a new car, I had to give up the GPS, and sometimes I miss it. I already have the laptop mount and data stuff, so this would be an easy addition...

I use delorme every day in my work truck (3yrs now). I don't have the bluetooth gps, mine is usb, but I still love it. Especially for the price.

i have microsoft streets and trips with GPS.. its easier to use than earthmate.. a friend of mine has the earthmate and switched to microsoft software.. he had to load a patch to get the antenna to work.. the microsoft one was on sale not too long ago for around $75.. its hard to use a laptop and drive..not bad if you have someone in the vehicle with you.. Small GPS units have come way down in price.. garman has 2 units for under $300.. both are rated pretty good by consumer reports..

troy

I've used DeLorme and MS Streets and Trips. I think the DeLorme has better map data, but MS has a better software interface. Both are better than little portable GPS units, but then the Garmin Nuvi 200 I have works just fine for me, and it is more portable. I really didn't like leaving an expensive laptop with all my personal data in a car when I reached my destination.

I have had Streets and Trips with GPS for two years now. It works just fine. It came with a Pharos USB GPS receiver. However, I am getting spoiled with the free GPS unit I got for being in the Dash Road Test.

Prior to getting a Garmin 7200, I used my laptop with Streets and Trips 2005 and 2006. The interface was great, though the laptop occasionally a pain because of its size.

I have used a Garmin GPS 18 and their nRoute software on a laptop. It worked very well and is quite affordable. I think I paid about $125. for the GPS, maps and routing software. I gave it to my Dad when Santa brought me a Garmin C530 GPS. They work about the same. The laptop version gives you more data such as lat long and a bunch of other pages of stuff I cannot remember. The only drawback I can think of is that the laptop is bulky and not as easy to use when traveling. Although it is good to keep a passenger busy for a while.

I have the microsoft GPS streets and trips, and they found a gravel road that cut my trip down an hour and a half. I think that alone paid for itself.

Don

I use the delorme and earthmate (2 yrs) doing inspections. No big problems with either of them. Much easier to see on laptop screen than the screen on a GPS unit.

Latest posts