Leaf spring spacers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jefferys

Reaction score
Somehow, I managed to wear the pads that go in between the leaf springs almost completely out on my 03’ (64k miles). Despite trying several different kinds of lubricant between the leaves (pink silicone, white lithium, wd40) I can’t get the squeaking / creaking from the springs to stop for longer than a couple of weeks at best.

Anyone have any ideas on how best to fix this problem? I think Ford sells a “leaf spring kit” with the spacers for around $85, but they didn’t really last very long – the springs have been creaking for a while. Is there anything else (other products maybe) that would be better to use? If I went the kit route, is installing them as easy as removing the back leaf spring bolt, spreading the springs and popping the new spacers in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks d-wat. It sounds like great stuff to use for this problem from the description and what I read. It costs a bit more than other lubricants but will be well worth it if it gets rid of the creaking! I found it on ebay for a pretty decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270147676231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

What’s the best way to “spread the springs” to get the lubrication between them – will it work if I just jack up the rear with a tire jack, or will I need to remove the spring bolts to do it right?

If you jack the trac from the frame and let the rear axle hang. there should be enough seperation to lube. If not, a large screwdriver should pry them apart easyly.

Latest posts